Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

manarak
503 Bad sequence of commands
First name: Proutor
Last name: Prout

file editing flexibility/ease of use

#1 Post by manarak » 2009-05-08 09:04

Many thanks again to the developer(s) of this great tool, which now has replaced all my other FTP clients.

I've still got some minor issues which are slight annoyances rather than bugs (I'm using Windows):

- the automatic synchronization feature:
I would like to be able to turn it off.
In some cases, when I am working on several sites, typically I download a current source from site A, change that file, copy it to another local dir, upload it to site B, then site C, download something from site C, modify it and then upload to site C, B and A, etc.
Filezilla gets confused (which is understandable), and asks me often about permission to upload/download files that have changed.
This causes delay in work and also a wrong click happens sometimes, and this click causes 2 to 5 mins of additional work to double-check where the file has been uploaded to and that everything is OK.
=> so, I would like to request that this feature can be switched off and on by the user.

- editing files:
Currently, one has to be connected to the FTP server to be able to edit a file.
Especially on slow connections, this can be a little frustrating.
I'd like to request that offline editing shall be allowed - this request is connected to the previous one about automatic synchronization. If the automatic sync is off, then allow offline editing.

- contextual menu
I understand Filezilla opens the files with the default tools set in Windows.
Then, in windows, I often also use the contextual menu instead of "edit". I have put Textpad as my default text editor in the contextual menu, so the easiest way to work is when I right click on any file and then choose "Textpad".
=> could Filezilla mimic the same behavior as Windows when a local file is right-clicked, i.e. display in a contextual menu the options "open", "edit" and the default windows contextual menu (where my textpad would be?).
Another possibility could be that the user specifies inside a Filezilla options menu a number of apps that should be displayed on right click. I would use a text editor, a css editor and a graphic tool (which are not necessarily the same as I would use by default on windows for non-web work).

Best Regards and keep up the good work!

boco
Contributor

Re: file editing flexibility/ease of use

#2 Post by boco » 2009-05-08 09:22

could Filezilla mimic the same behavior as Windows when a local file is right-clicked, i.e. display in a contextual menu the options "open", "edit" and the default windows contextual menu (where my textpad would be?).
Not possible, as this wouldn't be cross-platform compatible. Has to work on Windows, Linux, MacOS at least.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

manarak

#3 Post by manarak » 2009-05-14 10:34

hmm. I understand.

Maybe the following is possible then:

In Filezilla Options, the user could specify a list of user-defined apps (like now the definition of a standard-editor).

All these apps will then be displayed when the user right-clicks on a file.
So the user will have all his preferred apps available to him at once to edit a file.

manarak

#4 Post by manarak » 2009-06-16 12:17

- the automatic synchronization feature:
I would like to be able to turn it off.
In some cases, when I am working on several sites, typically I download a current source from site A, change that file, copy it to another local dir, upload it to site B, then site C, download something from site C, modify it and then upload to site C, B and A, etc.
Filezilla gets confused (which is understandable), and asks me often about permission to upload/download files that have changed.
This causes delay in work and also a wrong click happens sometimes, and this click causes 2 to 5 mins of additional work to double-check where the file has been uploaded to and that everything is OK.
=> so, I would like to request that this feature can be switched off and on by the user.

That problem has cost me 3 days of sales on one of my sites last week.

Please let us switch off synchronization!

Karlheinz
500 Command not understood
First name: Karl
Last name: Giesing

#5 Post by Karlheinz » 2009-06-19 17:27

To turn off synchronization:

Site Manager -> (www.example.com) -> Advanced tab -> UNcheck "Use Synchronized Browsing"

In my version, it's turned off by default...?

I only get those popups when I try to edit a file directly from the remote site, and in that case it SHOULD ask me those annoying questions.

manarak

#6 Post by manarak » 2009-06-22 11:10

Karlheiz, it is a different issue.
It is turned off by default on my sites too.