FileZilla keeps restarting but other programs work perfectly

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Paddy Landau
550 File not found
First name: Paddy
Last name: Landau

FileZilla keeps restarting but other programs work perfectly

#1 Post by Paddy Landau » 2013-03-18 15:53

I've been searching these forums for an answer but not found anything that quite matches my problem.

Since a bit more than a month ago…
  • When I transfer a file using FileZilla, it times out after a certain number of bytes. The precise number depends on the remote server. I use two servers: one times out after 180,224 bytes, and the other after 262,144 bytes.
  • The time before timeout depends on Settings > Connection > Timout. If I set this to (say) 5 seconds, the file stops after 180,224 bytes and waits approximately 5 seconds before it times out and FileZilla restarts. If I set this to 60 seconds, again the file stops after 180,224 bytes and waits approximately 60 seconds before trying again. (In the attached logs, the setting was 5 seconds.)
  • Usually, FileZilla restarts the file without a problem, but it means that a large file takes hours instead of minutes to transfer. Sometimes, FileZilla eventually fails and I have to restart (this happened after just two timeouts in the attached logs).
My first thoughts (thanks to other people) were the computer, the router and the firewall. However, I do not have this problem when I use FTP with other programs, including the command line (pftp) and the file browser (Nautilus). In those cases, the transfer works quickly and perfectly.

This means that FileZilla has the problem. I have tried resetting FileZilla's settings to default, but still I have the problem. I also tried turning off the firewall, but that made no difference.

What ideas do you have to fix this, please? I love FileZilla and would prefer to continue using it, but I cannot while it has this problem.

Notes:
  • Using Linux Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit fully updated.
  • Using FileZilla version 3.5.3
  • FileZilla.log.zip attached (domain name changed to "example.com" to protect the owner's privacy)
Thank you.
Attachments
FileZilla.log.zip
The FileZilla logs (with the domain name changed to "example.com" to protect the owner's privacy).
(1.61 KiB) Downloaded 125 times

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: FileZilla keeps restarting but other programs work perfe

#2 Post by botg » 2013-03-18 20:33

Please try the most recent version of FileZilla.

Paddy Landau
550 File not found

#3 Post by Paddy Landau » 2013-03-19 13:48

botg wrote:Please try the most recent version of FileZilla.
I don't know how to install the latest version. I have Ubuntu, which expects a .deb file. The instructions on the FileZilla download page say:
Built for Debian 6.0 (Squeeze). It is highly recommended to use the package management system of your distribution or to manually compile FileZilla if you are running a different flavour of Linux.
(I'm quite puzzled, because Debian also expects a .deb file, as I understand it.)

I am already using the FileZilla from the standard package management system. If you have a PPA for FileZilla, I will try it.

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2013-03-19 14:57

Normally I'd agree with this sentence. Unfortunately some repos suck balls regarding FileZilla.

You can use the download from our site directly. I do run it in Kubuntu, which is Debian-based, and it works fine. Just extract the .tar.gz archive.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

Paddy Landau
550 File not found

#5 Post by Paddy Landau » 2013-03-19 15:45

boco wrote:Just extract the .tar.gz archive.
OK… I've extracted the archive into my Downloads folder. Now what? (Sorry, I do not know much about installing.)

boco
Contributor

#6 Post by boco » 2013-03-19 20:51

Fire up the filezilla executable from the ./bin subdirectory.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

Paddy Landau
550 File not found

#7 Post by Paddy Landau » 2013-03-20 10:31

Thanks for the advice. I moved the extracted FileZilla folder to /opt, created a link in my path to the executable, and ran it from there.

And…

Yes, it works!

One server timed out after 123,355,136 bytes, but FileZilla happily and automatically restarted, so it was fine. The other server didn't time out, and despite a couple of problems (not FileZilla's fault), FileZilla transferred the file correctly.

Thank you indeed for your help. Solved!