NEW Compiling FileZilla 3.1.5 on Ubuntu Hardy Heron (8.04)

Moderator: Project members

permutation-jim
500 Command not understood
First name: J
Last name: Schmitz

NEW Compiling FileZilla 3.1.5 on Ubuntu Hardy Heron (8.04)

#1 Post by permutation-jim » 2008-10-28 21:09

Folks,

In a previous post (here), I described how I had compiled FileZilla 3.0.10 in Hardy. Here, I'll show how I've successfully compiled the newer 3.1.5 version.

From a terminal prompt, I got most needed pre-requisites by executing the following:

Code: Select all

#sudo apt-get update
#sudo apt-get install build-essential debhelper imagemagick libwxgtk2.8-dev autotools-dev gettext libgnutls-dev libidn11-dev wx-common libgtk2.0-dev
(lot's of 'yes's)

FileZilla 3.1.5 uses a newer version of wxWidgets than is loaded on Hardy, so I downloaded, compiled and installed a newer version.

Ubuntu Hardy uses the GTK+ version, so I downloaded wxGTK source code from the wxWidget folks (ftp://ftp.wxwidgets.org/pub/2.8.9/) and extracted it into a newly created subdirectory (/wxwidgets-installer/wxGTK-x-x-x) and did the following:

#cd ~/wxwidgets-installer/wxGTK-x-x-x
#mkdir compile
#cd compile
#../configure
#sudo make install
#sudo ldconfig
Once done, I then downloaded the latest version of FileZilla (http://www.filezilla-project.org/downlo ... ype=client) and extracted it into a new subfolder (~/filezilla-installer/filezilla-x-x-x), then did the following:

#cd ~/filezilla-installer/filezilla-x-x-x
#mkdir compile
#cd compile
#../configure
#sudo make install
Once done, I ran the following and check the 'About' version to test things:

#filezilla
Finally, I created a menu item for command filezilla.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: NEW Compiling FileZilla 3.1.5 on Ubuntu Hardy Heron (8.04)

#2 Post by botg » 2008-10-28 22:25

Small suggestion: Instead of using make install directly, better use make && make install. Otherwise, if compilation fails for some reason, it can happen that you have a partial installation which can cause problems down the road.

da chicken
226 Transfer OK

Re: NEW Compiling FileZilla 3.1.5 on Ubuntu Hardy Heron (8.04)

#3 Post by da chicken » 2008-10-29 05:27

As an addition to that, you can run make without root access. You only need root when you run make install. That makes me feel a bit safer because make is when all the compilations run, and make install is just a bunch of file copies mostly.

I downloaded and compiled wxGTK+ from source instead of using a precompiled binary. Only problem I ran into was wxGTK+ asking for GTK+-2.0 development files. I got those by running "sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev".