windows 2003 server - passive mode - port rewritten

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

cmtmcw
500 Command not understood
First name: Michael
Last name: Woodward

windows 2003 server - passive mode - port rewritten

#1 Post by cmtmcw » 2012-02-03 12:25

Hi,
I have installed FileZilla server on a machine running Windows 2003 server with the 'routing and remote access' service enabled. The server has a local IP address which is mapped from a public address by a Cicso router using NAT. Passive ftp is correctly configured in FileZilla with the public IP address and I have added ports in the 'routing and remote access' exceptions tab for the passive ports.

When a PASV command is sent from a client, the FileZilla server reports (and logs) the correct values for IP address (public address) and port number (one of the defined ports) in the 227 response message. The client, however, receives the correct IP address (public address) but a re-written port number. To aid investigation I have run the Microsoft Net Monitor (version 3.1) on the server and it reported the response message with BOTH the IP address (the local address appears) and the port (a random port number - but the one seen by the client) having been rewritten!

I guess the 'routing and remote access' service is doing the rewrite but I have been unable to idenfity how to turn the rewrite off. Advice would be appreciated.

Apologies if this question has been asked before - I've spent some considerable time hunting for a solution but without success.

Many thanks

Mike

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: windows 2003 server - passive mode - port rewritten

#2 Post by botg » 2012-02-04 08:31

Hit Win+R and enter services.msc, there you can then turn off the offending service.

cmtmcw

#3 Post by cmtmcw » 2012-02-06 08:54

Hi Botg,
Thanks - but I need the 'routing and remote access service' for other activities being handled by the server. It's just the port rewriting of the ftp ports used by FilZilla that I want to stop.

Mike

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2012-02-06 18:51

Never used that service so I wouldn't know how to configure it. Should be explained in your Windows manual though.

boco
Contributor

#5 Post by boco » 2012-02-07 04:18

Maybe it's not even the RRAS service. Check if you have the Application Layer Gateway service (alg.exe) running, that one is way more troublesome.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

cmtmcw

#6 Post by cmtmcw » 2012-02-07 16:50

Hi Boco,
Many thanks for the suggestion. Spot on. Stopped the ALG service and no port rewriting.

Many thanks again.

Mike