Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

dvdnhm
500 Command not understood
First name: David
Last name: Dunham

Re: filezilla forgot passwords

#46 Post by dvdnhm » 2013-12-05 20:16

sorry but this is the most stupid assumption I ever saw.

I use quick connect for the sites I don't use all the time. I was connecting to a site (a site I would never connect again) to check something for a friend, and answered question as "No" because I didn't want to save anything about that connection. How that would mean "Erase all the saved FTP passwords in Site Manager" !!??

I had 30+ ftp passwords saved in site manager over couple years and all of them are gone now. I don't even remember how I got them (over the phone, skype message, written on paper, etc) and I have no idea how to restore them back either.

Yes I know I had to backup the file but doesn't change that this is a stupid mistake/feature..

djlonboy
First name: Rob
Last name: G

#47 Post by djlonboy » 2014-05-14 16:09

Adding my voice to this thread.

I just lost ALL my passwords for the sites I manage, some of which have been saved on my system for many years and very difficult to locate again.

I agree with al the other posters on this thread that I was not given adequate warning about this when using Quick Connect.

This behaviour makes no sense. Choosing not to remember a password when using quick connect (for a site the user does not access often) should not under any circumstances actively delete all the other, non-related passwords which are stored in site manager.

This problem will now cost me many hours of my time in order for me to try and recover all the passwords from the recesses of my archives.

I also have to say that I find the the tone of BOTG (the site admin) rude and defensive. Please accept that this is a genuine issue which needs to be addressed instead of telling users they are wrong to think so.

jansjogren
First name: Jan
Last name: Sjögren

#48 Post by jansjogren » 2014-07-24 14:09

I agree that this should be changed. It is abysmal usability to make such an important decision in that context, without proper warning. I was handling a support call and needed to connect quickly to a client's ftp for a onetime download. Of course I presupposed that the dialog box was only affecting this very connection, not all site manager entries.

I lost hundreds of logins, but fortunately I had a pretty recent backup so I only truly lost a handful. Still, I had to google (and found this thread) to understand what had just happened, because it did not make any sense to me. Please rethink this.

julijan91
First name: Julijan
Last name: Andjelic

#49 Post by julijan91 » 2014-09-21 11:20

Ok, this is weird, I registered here just to write WTF???!!!

I mean 7 years of gathered passwords fromm all clients are gone just because I chose not to store my password for a single quick connect session?! Thats idiotic, and worst of all this has been reported here over a year ago and still isn't fixed. Is filezilla still in development? I haven't seen any improvements in years.

Please fix this or if for any reason this is a part of your philosophy and in your world this makes sense, then please add a clear warning "if you select not to save this password, all your password in site manager will be deleted, just in case". Thank you.

julijan91

#50 Post by julijan91 » 2014-09-21 11:33

botg wrote:I understand your concerns, though apart from maybe some different text on the dialog, I see no reason to change anything.
You see no reason to change anything? Please name one situation in which this would be useful to anyone? I fail to see how wanting to quickly connect to one server is related to wanting to flush all your paswords in site manager? Please enlighten me!

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#51 Post by botg » 2014-09-22 07:40

Not a single backup in 7 years?

The question whether passwords should be saved or not only appears when the quickconnect bar is being used for the first time, on new installations of FileZilla. It does not appear after updating from an old version.

Alexey

#52 Post by Alexey » 2014-10-14 16:44

I'm using Filezilla for years, but tried quick connect just for some weeks ago. First I lost all passwords on workplace, now at home pc. Thanks to this forum now we know at least how it happens!
Please, remove this bug (yes, it is bug)! It never should delete stored passwords until user asks for it!
What should happen to make you change your mind?
Just imagine you are opening some PDF document online and receiving question "Would you like to store documents on disk for further use?". And if you choose No, all files from your documents folder gets deleted! It's exactly the same.
Please, fix it!

boco
Contributor

#53 Post by boco » 2014-10-15 06:15

It never should delete stored passwords until user asks for it!
And you did.

Actually I liked the FileZilla 2 way better - it already asked about saving of p/w in the Installer.
Or, a completely different way: P/w saving is disabled in new FZ installations by default, user enables it in Settings. When importing XML with p/w you get asked to enable that feature.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

c0mar
First name: Marco
Last name: Lima

#54 Post by c0mar » 2014-10-17 15:26

After many years using Filezilla im gonna migrate to other software because of this STUPID decision, what you guys have in mind??? Lost more than 30 passwords

julijan91

#55 Post by julijan91 » 2014-10-17 16:13

botg wrote:Not a single backup in 7 years?

The question whether passwords should be saved or not only appears when the quickconnect bar is being used for the first time, on new installations of FileZilla. It does not appear after updating from an old version.

I do have a backup from about a year ago but that's not in question here. Can you answer my question, what is the relation in using the quick connect and forgetting all passwords saved in site manager? Fortunately I found the passwords I still need searching my emails and skype chats but are you failing to notice this affects many people out there, probably much much more than have reported it here, so it's probably hundreds if not thousands of people losing their stored passwords.

Now being a developer myself I know this is not a big change you need to make, you don't even need to write new code, but rather delete one or two lines of it, if you are really lazy to change the logic behind this then at least add a clear warning. "IF YOU DECIDE NOT TO SAVE A PASSWORD FOR THIS QUICK CONNECT SESSION ALL YOUR SAVED PASSWORDS IN SITE MANAGER WILL BE DELETED".

Other than this issue I love FileZilla and it's really doing what it should be.

boco
Contributor

#56 Post by boco » 2014-10-18 07:28

That dialog is not about saving passwords in QuickConnect. It's about saving passwords, in general.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

colewebdev
First name: Josiah
Last name: Cole

#57 Post by colewebdev » 2014-10-23 13:27

I'm adding my highly displeased voice to this thread. After YEARS of happy FileZilla usage I just encountered this usability nightmare.

I had many accumulated passwords that are now gone and unrecoverable.

This needs to be fixed, it should not be so easy (without explanation) to wipe out all saved passwords.

botg
Site Admin

#58 Post by botg » 2014-10-23 16:57

I really wonder why you are even seeing the dialog that asks you whether to save passwords or not. It only appears on brand-new installations of FileZilla.

colewebdev
First name: Josiah
Last name: Cole

#59 Post by colewebdev » 2014-10-23 17:09

I would venture to guess that upon updating FileZilla, which is essentially installing anew, this setting was reset. Can't confirm, but I can confirm that I use FileZilla daily and only when using Quick Connect (after not using it for sometime) did I see the prompt. And like most, I thought it was relevant to just quick connect.

botg
Site Admin

#60 Post by botg » 2014-10-23 19:19

Settings aren't reset when updating.