FileZilla in multiuser environment

Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

uga
500 Command not understood

FileZilla in multiuser environment

#1 Post by uga » 2005-06-27 06:21

I'm using FileZilla from network. Program files are located in network drive, and users have only shortcuts on their desktop. This way changes to ftp-sites can be made in one place, and everyone has the updated version in their hands all the time. Plus no installation of the program is needed on the workstations...
Generally everything works just fine (even so that the program was not ment to be used this way), but hopefully these two points could be taken under consideration when developing FileZilla.

- Logging. Logging to one file (with several users) leads to a crash, so it cannot be used at all. Would be better if one log file per ftp-site could be generated. Example: Opening MyOwnFTP-site from Sitemanager would start making log file to the "default local" -location that user have defined.
Also using a date and time stamp in the logfiles names would prevent crashes. If every new connection would start a new logfile then all logs could be placed in one location, and still no crashes... Any way, if possible the logging could work differently than now...

- Managing sites and other options. Making changes to file FileZilla.xml is not working very well in multiuser environment. When closing the program FileZilla.xml is overwriten. Example: Two users - A & B. Both users use FileZilla in same time and have the program open. User A makes a new ftp-site in sitemanager and closes the program. When A opens the program again. Everything seems ok and new site is in sitemanager. A is happy and closes the program. Now user B closes the program and FileZilla.xml is overwriten, so all the changes A made are gone forever...
It would be nice if there could be a mechanism to check when a newer file exists in the network, so when closing the program, no overwriting would happen. It would be better if the program would read the FileZilla.xml when opening the program and make changes only if something is changed (and in that case not overwriting the whole xml-file, but only the part that have been changed)...

These are just small ideas to make the best ftp-program even better. Thanks!

dandv
504 Command not implemented

Re: FileZilla in multiuser environment

#2 Post by dandv » 2005-07-11 20:47

uga wrote:I'm using FileZilla from network. Program files are located in network drive, and users have only shortcuts on their desktop. This way changes to ftp-sites can be made in one place, and everyone has the updated version in their hands all the time. Plus no installation of the program is needed on the workstations...
I administrate exactly the same setup at work.
An alternative would be to copy the client to each workstation for faster access and specify the settings file via command-line (in a shortcut .LNK file), but FileZilla doesn't support that (please correct me if I'm wrong). WS_FTP has a command line setting to specify the location of its INI file.
uga wrote:- Logging. Logging to one file (with several users) leads to a crash, so it cannot be used at all. Would be better if one log file per ftp-site could be generated. Example: Opening MyOwnFTP-site from Sitemanager would start making log file to the "default local" -location that user have defined.
I'd also vote for this optional feature: log transfers to a log file in the local directory of the uploaded/downloaded file. This is the last feature I miss from WS_FTP.

It would also be nice if RTF was optional. One line per transfer detailing client, server, timestamp and file, would be sufficient.

Hope that helps,
Dan Dascalescu

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#3 Post by botg » 2005-07-13 16:11

Several improvements for use in multi-user enviroments will be implemented in FileZilla 3