Moderator: Project members

curtisa
500 Command not understood
First name: Curtis
Last name: Alexander

Filezilla and Wordpress

#1 Post by curtisa » 2009-12-04 17:39

Here's my situation, please advise:
I have a wordpress site that I have been posting on and changing themes, etc via the example.com/wp-admin . Which has worked just fine.

My problem is, when I was notified that I needed to upgrade to the newest version of wordpress I needed to create backups. Of course, I was told this could be done through the cpanel but that there were limitations to this and it was best to to use an FTP program like Filezilla (which I have used on other sites and am somewhat familiar with).

Here's where my problem is: since I haven't really downloaded anything to my hard drive (including wordpress) how do I get my current site - as it sits on the web right now - safely backed up and able to restore it using Filezilla?

I followed the directions from my host and from wordpress and from filezilla but I've just ended up confused, frustrated and going in circles.

I did request a backup from my host, which I got and unzipped. But, it's not showing my wordpress files when I save that back up to my hard drive.

I'm obviously missing something because, to me, I should just be able to request my back up, save it to my hard drive and then transfer the files. But something isn't right.

As a side note, if I can't get this figured out I would be willing to pay someone to do it for me and then show me what I'm doing wrong.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to help me on this.

Best -

Cypress
226 Transfer OK
First name: J

Re: Filezilla and Wordpress

#2 Post by Cypress » 2009-12-04 18:06

Read this stuff: http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Ba ... structions
you might want to scroll up some and read the stuff under the title "Backing Up Your WordPress Site " but since you all ready backed up your website you should all ready have all that stuff saved.
The database backup is probably all you will have to do to finish getting your site back up complete.