Moderator: Project members

burlysoft
500 Command not understood
First name: D
Last name: Williams

Filename Filters

#1 Post by burlysoft » 2010-02-09 22:30

Hello,
I've been tasked with backing up a directory with some 10000 folders, of which the server only returns a list of 8000 with the following message:

Response: 150 Accepted data connection
Response: 226-Options: -a -l
Response: 226 Output truncated to 8000 matches

I thought my solution should be to use the Filename Filters within FileZilla to display half the folders, download, change the filter, then download the rest... But I've run into an problem, and I'm hoping someone here can suggest an alternative solution.

What I tried, unsuccessfully, was to create a filter to show only folders beginning with a-m. The problem is that the filter is applied to the entire directory tree, and not just to the immediate folder. The result is that any file or folder starting with n-z within my target folders is filtered out.

To summarize, I can not rely on a filter to show me the entire contents of a target set of folders, because the filter can't be restricted to the current folder only (it's applied to the entire tree).

Is there another way to accomplish this task?

Thank you for the help.

boco
Contributor

Re: Filename Filters

#2 Post by boco » 2010-02-09 22:42

I thought my solution should be to use the Filename Filters within FileZilla to display half the folders, download, change the filter, then download the rest...
Just think about it for a moment... If the server sends a truncated list to FileZilla, should it guess the rest of the entries? The filename filters only work client-side, after receiving the list from the server.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

burlysoft

#3 Post by burlysoft » 2010-02-09 23:41

I didn't know that was the case... I mean the FTP command Dir is capable of filters, for example: Dir *.php.

If FileZilla is only acting on the returned list, then is there no way to accomplish a reliable backup, via FileZilla (perhaps FTP in general), of a folder containing 10000+ folders?

I've seen some post indicating the 8000 folder limit is a result of the hosting companys configuration. Has anybody had success requesting this limit be removed? And if so, does anyone have any tips on how to make this request?

Thanks in advance for any help.

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2010-02-10 00:56

I mean the FTP command Dir is capable of filters, for example: Dir *.php.
"dir" is not an FTP command. LIST and MLSD are the FTP commands for listing. But they accept such a parameter, I admit. However, Filename filters act purely client-side. Would love to hear botg's opinion of this.
If FileZilla is only acting on the returned list, then is there no way to accomplish a reliable backup, via FileZilla (perhaps FTP in general), of a folder containing 10000+ folders
FileZilla contains no limit, it's set on the server by admins. Proper servers don't truncate listings.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#5 Post by botg » 2010-02-10 06:52

LIST and MLSD are the FTP commands for listing. But they accept such a parameter, I admit.
They only accept valid pathnames, not other arguments like options or wildcards. A server that does, does not comply to the FTP standards.

burlysoft

#6 Post by burlysoft » 2010-02-10 08:30

OK, I'll pursue an answer with the hosting company. Thank you for the information.