Newbie: 2 PCs with XP SP2 - How to transfer ?

Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

TonyMM
500 Command not understood

Newbie: 2 PCs with XP SP2 - How to transfer ?

#1 Post by TonyMM » 2006-03-18 07:31

Hi!

I am very sorry but I have read the docs and I still can't transfer data between my two Ps: maybe you can help me.....

I have two pcs with Windows XP SP2.

I have installed Filezilla_2_2_18 and Filezilla_Server-0_9_13a on both Pcs. Both are registred as exception for the Windows Firewall on each PC.

The two Pcs are linked within a network. PC#1 has 192.168.2.98 and PC#2 has 192.168.2.99.

I want to be able to exchange data between these two Pcs, mainly from the PC#1 to PC#2 but maybe also from PC#2 to PC#1.

Which software should I install and use on which PC (Filezilla_2_2_18 or Filezilla_Server-0_9_13a) ? and which setup should I have ??

I am totally lost....

Tony

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#2 Post by botg » 2006-03-18 10:22

Install the client on the machine you're working most of the time. Install the server on the other.

cresquin
504 Command not implemented

#3 Post by cresquin » 2006-03-18 10:51

The "server" application typically sends most data, while the "client" application mostly recieves data. (both do both, but those are the usual roles)

If you have two PCs networked together, then FTP may not be the best way to transfer files between the two. It may be easier to set both computers in the same workgroup, then share the folders you want to tranfer files to/from using "Windows File Sharing."

TonyMM
500 Command not understood

#4 Post by TonyMM » 2006-03-18 18:26

cresquin wrote:The "server" application typically sends most data, while the "client" application mostly recieves data. (both do both, but those are the usual roles)

If you have two PCs networked together, then FTP may not be the best way to transfer files between the two. It may be easier to set both computers in the same workgroup, then share the folders you want to tranfer files to/from using "Windows File Sharing."
Yes this is indeed what I am doing now, but I was told that this way is quite dangereous because my network is also connected to the internet. I was told I should use a ftp network instead.

cresquin
504 Command not implemented

#5 Post by cresquin » 2006-03-18 18:55

TonyMM wrote:
Yes this is indeed what I am doing now, but I was told that this way is quite dangereous because my network is also connected to the internet. I was told I should use a ftp network instead.
I assume you are connected to the internet through a cable/dsl modem, and that you have some sort of a router with a firewall in place since your computer IPs were 192.168.x.x . Your system is perfectly safe behind the router in almost all circumstances and unless you are a high value target (ie cisco or the white house) the you really aren't in danger of people outside of your LAN getting access to your files.

Also, unless you want to encrypt the transfers (which you don't need to do on your own LAN) FTP is only marginally more secure than File Sharing as long as you password protect your shared files.

If your computer is connected to a LAN that has more than just the computers in your home, you might be best served picking up a $30 router instead of setting up FTP. It would provide far more security than just closing your shares, and is far simpler to set up.

Using FTP for transferring files between just two computers on the same LAN is overkill.