Suggestions...

Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

VaMPiRiC_CRoW
500 Command not understood

Suggestions...

#1 Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW » 2004-05-13 20:12

Hi,

I was a user of FlashFXP, but I find this great freeware and I'm very happy with it :wink:

I have some suggestions to make:

1. Have in the toolbar, an option to change the number of files that can be transfer at the same time.

2. When we want to edit or view a file, FileZilla open that file with the default viewer or default editor on the system for that file...

Keeps the good work. :)

Best Regards
Last edited by VaMPiRiC_CRoW on 2004-05-13 22:17, edited 1 time in total.

TheAngryPenguin
226 Transfer OK

Re: Suggestions...

#2 Post by TheAngryPenguin » 2004-05-13 21:08

VaMPiRiC_CRoW wrote: [snip]

I have some suggestions to make:

1. Have in the toolbar, an option to change the number of files that can be transfer at the same time.

2. When we want to edit or view a file, FileZilla open that file with the default viewer or default editor on the system for that file...
I second your suggestions, and would like to add one more: How about a Feature Request-specific sub-Forum?

-TheAngryPenguin

VaMPiRiC_CRoW

Re: Suggestions...

#3 Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW » 2004-05-13 22:19

TheAngryPenguin wrote:How about a Feature Request-specific sub-Forum?

-TheAngryPenguin
I agree with...

It's more easier if we have a Feature Request section in this Forum...

eddan
226 Transfer OK

#4 Post by eddan » 2004-05-13 23:00

BotG mentioned to me earlier that he wanted all feature request to go into the SF.net trackers. Don't know if he still thinks this or if I misunderstood him, but I would agree with him on this.

I know the feature request tracker is kinda messy, but BotG said he would clean up everything when FZ3 comes out. So imo everyone should wait with feature requests until FZ3 is out. This way we could start a clean feature request tracker that could be more up-to-date and functional. Today there's a lot of duplicate items and even more obsolete ones. It would make things even more messy if there would be feature requests in two places(tracker and forum). Think the forums is the place to discuss them but the trackers on sf.net the place to submit them(?).

I actually spent some time these past weeks cleaning up the support requests on the sf.net site and was thinking about cleaning up the feature requests as well, but it was a complete mess so I figured it wasn't worth it. But as I said, BotG will try to clean it up for FZ3.

Would like to hear your opinions on my views.

TheAngryPenguin
226 Transfer OK

#5 Post by TheAngryPenguin » 2004-05-13 23:28

eddan wrote:BotG mentioned to me earlier that he wanted all feature request to go into the SF.net trackers. Don't know if he still thinks this or if I misunderstood him, but I would agree with him on this.
It appears that he may have changed his mind: "It's more easier if we have a Feature Request section in this Forum..."
eddan wrote:I know the feature request tracker is kinda messy, but BotG said he would clean up everything when FZ3 comes out. So imo everyone should wait with feature requests until FZ3 is out. This way we could start a clean feature request tracker that could be more up-to-date and functional. Today there's a lot of duplicate items and even more obsolete ones. It would make things even more messy if there would be feature requests in two places(tracker and forum). Think the forums is the place to discuss them but the trackers on sf.net the place to submit them(?).
To me, it seems illogical to wait until after FZ3 is released for users to request new features or changes to current features. Something might be recommended that could be much easier to implement earlier in the development process. If a ground-breaking request were submitted further down the road, I'd hate to have BotG say that it'll have to wait until the next major version.
eddan wrote:I actually spent some time these past weeks cleaning up the support requests on the sf.net site and was thinking about cleaning up the feature requests as well, but it was a complete mess so I figured it wasn't worth it. But as I said, BotG will try to clean it up for FZ3.

Would like to hear your opinions on my views.
I'm pretty sure that I am not alone when I state that the whole SF way of maintaing projects like these is a little bit user-unfriendly. Then again, it may be a completely different situation from the programmers' perspectives. Personally, I'd rather come here to do such things as get updated on what's going on with the project and ask or comment about new functionality.

-TheAngryPenguin

eddan
226 Transfer OK

#6 Post by eddan » 2004-05-13 23:46

TheAngryPenguin wrote: It appears that he may have changed his mind: "It's more easier if we have a Feature Request section in this Forum..."
Actually it was VaMPiRiC_CRoW and not BotG who said that, atleast in this topic?
TheAngryPenguin wrote: To me, it seems illogical to wait until after FZ3 is released for users to request new features or changes to current features. Something might be recommended that could be much easier to implement earlier in the development process. If a ground-breaking request were submitted further down the road, I'd hate to have BotG say that it'll have to wait until the next major version.
Well, it was more a general thing - when you see the 8th guy asking for FZ to connect to many servers in the same instance (tab-based) you get somewhat annoyed and can't really understand why people don't bother read up on stuff...
TheAngryPenguin wrote: I'm pretty sure that I am not alone when I state that the whole SF way of maintaing projects like these is a little bit user-unfriendly. Then again, it may be a completely different situation from the programmers' perspectives. Personally, I'd rather come here to do such things as get updated on what's going on with the project and ask or comment about new functionality.
I agree with you on this one, but as I said - maybe sf.net for feature request submits and forums for discussion?

VaMPiRiC_CRoW

#7 Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW » 2004-05-14 00:35

Off course, that we have to wait to the next version of FileZilla, but I think that all this suggestions could be listed and analized to know if they are really good and how implement them...

If the FileZilla are in developement, it's good to know all of this to change the things for in the future will be possible to implement all this requests...

I don't like the GUI of the SF.net... So, why not put all the things here!?
WinXP Pro SP2

TheAngryPenguin
226 Transfer OK

#8 Post by TheAngryPenguin » 2004-05-14 03:22

eddan wrote:Actually it was VaMPiRiC_CRoW and not BotG who said that, atleast in this topic?
Moo-moo. My bad.
...and then eddan wrote:Well, it was more a general thing - when you see the 8th guy asking for FZ to connect to many servers in the same instance (tab-based) you get somewhat annoyed and can't really understand why people don't bother read up on stuff...
Agreed. While the multi-connect may seem convenient, perhaps it should be limited to two connections per server.
...and then eddan finally wrote:I agree with you on this one, but as I said - maybe sf.net for feature request submits and forums for discussion?
I have no experience administering phpBB, but might it be possible to merge the feature request posts/discussions from this forum with sf.net? Just a thought, since you seem to agree that sf.net can be a less user-friendly place to post such thoughts.

-TheAngryPenguin

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#9 Post by botg » 2004-05-14 06:48

Feature requests should go to the request tracker. Bug reports should bo to the trackers as well.

Also, I still fix bugs and accept patches for FZ2 and will release new version from time to time, though I most likely won't add new feature myself. If you really want a specific feature, there are some good books about C/C++ and you have the source of FZ2.

Always remember that I'm writing FZ for fun in my free time, I don't have the resources to implement every request and to work on multiple projects. My todo list already shoots through the roof.

VaMPiRiC_CRoW

#10 Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW » 2004-05-15 22:24

OK.

I already put here my suggestions, so I think that it's not necessary to them in another local...

Regards
WinXP Pro SP2