Feature request - always convert ASCII files...

Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

jez9999
500 Syntax error

Feature request - always convert ASCII files...

#1 Post by jez9999 » 2006-04-24 22:21

It's starting to get very annoying when I upload files with Windows-style line endings in ASCII mode and they end up on my UNIX server with... Windows-style line endings.

I don't know how it's meant to work, but it's patently clear to me that the 'ASCII' mode upload type frequently does not work, causing annoying-as-heck error messages for any scripts you may have uploaded. So this is what I propose:

Instead of relying on the FTP daemon on the server side to correctly convert to its OS's style of line endings, do it in the FTP client. How does the FTP client know what to convert to? Well, 2 ways. You could add some programming to try and analyse the text received upon connection to the server, to try and tell what OS it's on. That could be an option.

The second option, and probably more useful, would be for the user to specify whether line endings should be converted to \n, \r\n, or \r. Simple. Just have the option to 'always convert ASCII file line endings to... (whatever). I'm getting sick of ASCII mode uploading not working, and I'd like FileZilla to make sure it works, with or without the help of the server FTP daemon.

This is pretty easy to implement, could we have it?
=== Jez ===