Moderator: Project members

tmscaf
500 Command not understood
First name: Troy
Last name: Scafuro

FTP server - Auto throttle based on network activity

#1 Post by tmscaf » 2011-12-19 05:51

Hi,
I'm not even sure if this is a feature that's available, I overlooked, not possible...etc. Some google searching didn't bring back a obvious answer to me.
What I'm currently wanting to do, is run a FTP server that governs it throttle based on network/server usage. The specific point/case is that I have 1 user that connects and is constantly uploading all day, everyday. I also run a Minecraft server my server. Minecraft lags extremely bad while the previously mentioned user is uploading to himself.
Is there a feature/way that can see that (i.e.) 3 people are connected to the server in one form or another, and set the download/upload speed to x amount? I was thinking of scripting something like this if there were some command line features that suited my needs. But I'm not sure, as I'm not fully familiarized with FZ.
Thanks in advance for any help :)

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: FTP server - Auto throttle based on network activity

#2 Post by botg » 2011-12-19 07:03

What you seek is a good traffic shaper, a generic solution independent of the protocols and programs consuming the bandwidth. Very easy to setup on on a Linux router, no idea about other platforms.