Segmented Downloads - Any Plans?

Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

krux0r
500 Command not understood

Re: Segmented Downloads - Any Plans?

#76 Post by krux0r » 2013-03-13 19:15

Wow, it is a big shame that I have to go back to my CuteFTP, after all this. Too bad, it seems FOSS doesn't always win after all.

I am simply trying to download files, as fast as is internetly possible, off my own dedicated server, whose bandwidth wholly belongs to me.

Other windows clients, and even linux clients, support multi-segmenting. but not this. too bad, it was a dream once, this filezilla, but it's a good lesson to learn that sometimes, the paid/commercial software is simply the better product - not corrupted by personal opinion and power, it's often driven instead by desire for sheer excellence, and increased sales from that.

A good lesson indeed.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#77 Post by botg » 2013-03-13 21:49

I understand how you feel, how segmented downloads might appear to be a viable solution. Once I felt the same way, being subject to the limitations of a sub-par ISP, only to eventually find out that that segmented downloads are merely a ruse, that once a bad ISP takes a note of it, they'll limit that as well. Since then I've switched ISPs and no longer have a problem.

saf232fsadsa3

#78 Post by saf232fsadsa3 » 2013-04-22 10:43

So if Filezilla actually is opensource then why is it exactly that botg apparently controls all the decisions? Shouldn't it be a collaborative effort?

Segmented downloading is obviously a highly requested feature and quite likely the only reason many people actually pay for CuteFTP or SmartFTP, which should surely set off some warning bells.

You've been begged for this for literally over 5 years now. Why are you so damn stubborn about it? You're just taking some silly ideological stand and refusing to do it because of, literally, the way the world works. Rather than actually making a workaround for the problem that the users need, you instead expect the entire world of corporate bean counters to change their ways instead. It's naive at best, at worst it's incredibly inconvenient to the entire project and anyone that actually cares about it.

Segmented downloading is needed. The world isn't going to change... FileZilla needs to adapt.

copy

#79 Post by copy » 2013-04-22 14:19

I registered just to say this: after searching through this thread it is absolutely astounding to me how ignorant the admin here is of the need for segmented downloads. Quite honestly, after reading his "advice" I'm just going to uninstall FileZilla and use lftp/pget. I wonder what it's like to live in his little world where people have the choice of service providers and ISP's. He mustn't be American, or have a real job where he doesn't get to decide who runs the server on the other end.

Here's a small guide about switching to lftp:

Before we begin, make sure to install lftp using your package manager.

First, to make it save your password like FileZilla does add "set bmk:save-passwords on" to ~/.config/lftp/rc (or wherever this is on your system).

Then, optionally do alias sget pget -cn10 to alias "sget" to "pget -c -n10". That command is parts get, with the continue switch and the number of parts set to 10. Change to your preference.

Then do something like this:

Code: Select all

$ lftp
lftp :~> open me@box
lftp :~> bookmark add box # You can now connect as `lftp box` later
lftp :~> sget /path/to/file
And then you can be done with FileZilla while not having to use proprietary software to fill the need for such a basic thing as segmented downloading.

Hope this helps someone.

losethebattlelosethewar

#80 Post by losethebattlelosethewar » 2013-04-29 07:26

I am utterly in awe of someone who on one hand has the selflessness to work on an open source project as I assume you do, and yet will respond to requests from the userbase with "ftp has no native support for segmented downloads, so get a better ISP"

If you are some idealogical nutcase then sure, the argument that people should fix the internet may sound fine. Pray tell how does ISP traffic shaping fit into your world. How does living in a country with no ISP competition sound.

I have a choice of cable from one company, or a 128k satelite connection. There is no DSL where I am. The cable company chokes ftp down to 40k a second from 4pm till midnight.

Segmented transfers work, and I just went and bought cuteftp which is running 20 parallel transfers, saturating my connection as we speak.
You can claim that ftp should give max transfers, that people should punish poor ISP's, that ftp has no ability to specify file chunks - only start point. All that is worthless stacked up against a software solution that fulfills the users need, which cuteftp now does for me, with a rubbish interface and a confusing layout.
Their mac version is almost unusable. I am still happy to pay the money to get the usage from my connection.

daeldenteers

#81 Post by daeldenteers » 2013-05-30 05:31

No joke.. I just made an account to make this post

botg, you are a stupid twat. Segmented downloading is the bomb. I've been using FileZilla for many, many years, but now I will now stick with BitKinex because it supports this feature.

What a shame.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#82 Post by botg » 2013-05-30 12:28

daeldenteers wrote:botg, you are a stupid twat.
I'm so many things these days. I must feel speshull...

MoonUnitZappa
550 Permission denied

#83 Post by MoonUnitZappa » 2013-05-30 15:24

daeldenteers wrote:No joke.. I just made an account to make this post
Aww .. It went to all that twubble and maybe even had to create a new email addwess ... :smash:
botg wrote:
daeldenteers wrote:botg, you are a stupid twat.
I'm so many things these days. I must feel speshull...
.. just to make you feel " speshull " -- How sweet :silly:

You are 3XTR4 5P3C14L botg .. here, have a cup-cake and put your feet up ;)

Such unpleasantness .. I should not feed the trolls but just this once .. go away daeldenteers
Definition: Politics -- Latin, from poly meaning many and tics meaning blood sucking parasites -- Tom Smothers
Power .. Cutting a long cable short.

boco
Contributor

#84 Post by boco » 2013-05-30 20:12

Ewmer Fudd, anyone?

That's all folks! :closed:
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org