FTP = Frustrating Trickle Protocol...

Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

topbanana
450 Internal Error

FTP = Frustrating Trickle Protocol...

#1 Post by topbanana » 2013-01-02 09:04

What's the future of the FTP?
Are there any ideas or moves to make any changes to the protocol to make it more efficient?

As the end-user connections speeds are getting faster and faster each day, and files are getting much bigger too, the bottlenecks are now moving away from their modem speed to one of the many links/hops along the route around the world to their server, which are almost always totally out of the control of the end user... So now we're seeing slow transfers... sometimes frustratingly slow... Gone are the days of seeing our throughput running at 100% until the transfer has finished.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: FTP = Frustrating Trickle Protocol...

#2 Post by botg » 2013-01-02 16:04

FTP is very fast if used in a proper network. If your network isn't proper, fix that first.

topbanana
450 Internal Error

#3 Post by topbanana » 2013-01-03 01:30

botg wrote:FTP is very fast if used in a proper network. If your network isn't proper, fix that first.
Which is possible to do in a corporate environment...
But for those that use FTP over the internet, this is a different story.
I'm talking about when we don't have any say, what-so-ever, about the networks between us and our servers.

xeon
226 Transfer OK

#4 Post by xeon » 2013-01-03 03:08

topbanana wrote:
botg wrote:FTP is very fast if used in a proper network. If your network isn't proper, fix that first.
Which is possible to do in a corporate environment...
But for those that use FTP over the internet, this is a different story.
I'm talking about when we don't have any say, what-so-ever, about the networks between us and our servers.
You could always rent a cheap $5-$10/m VPS that's on a network where performance is ideal and tunnel it through ssh using it as a socks5 proxy.

I do this quite often when my ISP has a congested peering/transit point.