Clean install version, not SourceForge?

Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

mikeamondo
500 Command not understood
First name: Mike

Clean install version, not SourceForge?

#1 Post by mikeamondo » 2014-04-16 16:46

Okay...so I've read many posts / threads about the adware / malware issues at SourceForge when installing FZ. I found the same issues when trying to install it on my new Windows 8.1 Laptop. Also... I ABSOLUTELY RELY on FileZilla. Really need to get this up and running, but have lost countless hours.... days even.... in the past getting rid of unwanted crap software and am now very careful about such things.

I see bogt and bocco seem to feel differently about such things... but both maintain the belief that SourceForge will not install unwanted stuff if you check the correct boxes to decline said stuff. I think there is enough evidence from the posts I've read to at least question that belief.

I followed the instructions to get a "Clean Install" by clicking on the "More Download Options".... but scrolling over EVERY ONE of them shows at the bottom that they point back to SourceForge. So where, may I ask, is the clean install? Specific directions, please!

2nd.... what alternatives are there to FileZilla... like others, I'd gladly pay for nice, clean install, no malware, bloatware, adware, etc. And botg / others at filezilla... if you've made a deal with the devil here and can't back out of it... at least have the courtesy to tell the rest of us!
Thanks!
Mike

victoriamon
500 Syntax error
First name: Victoria
Last name: Montoya

Re: Clean install version, not SourceForge?

#2 Post by victoriamon » 2014-04-16 19:43

I would say SourceForge is better place than you think it is. They surely will not force you to add additional downloads. You problem is something else which you can't able to address.

mikeamondo

#3 Post by mikeamondo » 2014-04-16 19:55

Well... again.... there are repeated posts by others that experienced the same issues as I did. I think that's enough to cause a valid concern. And why, if the "other download options" is repeatedly referred to by bogt and bocco as non-SourceForge options, do they appear on scroll-over to take you directly to SourceForge? I'm sorry to disagree with you, but some additional information and clarification is warranted here.

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2014-04-16 20:40

And why, if the "other download options" is repeatedly referred to by bogt and bocco as non-SourceForge options,
Because they used to be. The local repository was abused (by hotlinking) and thus redirects to SF now.

After you click the More link the "?nowrap" string is added to the download URL. That prevents SF from delivering the malware stuff, but you get the real deal.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

mikeamondo

#5 Post by mikeamondo » 2014-04-16 20:56

aaahhh... okay. Thank you for the reply! I will give that a shot and see if it works! I really really really want to keep using 'zilla!

Mike