Moderator: Project members

pakhri
500 Command not understood
First name: Pakhri
Last name: Yahya

Indirect transfers between servers

#1 Post by pakhri » 2015-08-13 10:21

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to transfer files indirectly between FTP/SFTP servers. Is this possible in FileZilla, if it's not, will the feature be added in the future?

Is FileZilla going to support FXP too, to support direct transfers between servers?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Indirect transfers between servers

#2 Post by botg » 2015-08-13 13:06

Indirect transfer is easy. Download the files with FileZilla from one server and re-upload them on another.

I no longer plan to implement support for direct server-to-server transfers, they are incompatible with FTP over TLS and thus insecure.

pakhri
First name: Pakhri
Last name: Yahya

#3 Post by pakhri » 2015-08-14 07:11

botg wrote:Indirect transfer is easy. Download the files with FileZilla from one server and re-upload them on another.
Yes I do know that you can transfer to your local machine then transfer to the other server. What I'm looking for is more like simple drag and drop between two servers, even though it is downloaded via your machine. Or having left and right pane of two different servers and be able to transfer between them seamlessly and filezilla will do the background of transfers between two servers and handling temporary files on local machine, taking care of failure at the same time.

ZippyZippy
First name: q
Last name: a

#4 Post by ZippyZippy » 2018-07-18 05:15

pakhri wrote:
2015-08-14 07:11
What I'm looking for is more like simple drag and drop between two servers [using a local copy intermediate, not direct FXP]
Hate to resuscitate a dead thread, but I think this feature would be very useful. Filezilla could automatically start uploading to server #2 after it finishes downloading (or maybe even while it downloads) from server #1.

It wouldn't save any bandwidth, but the user would be able do a migration in one "set it and forget it" step, rather than having to download manually, check periodically for the transfer to finish, and *then* start the upload manually. Like syntactic sugar in programming; wouldn't give any new capabilities, but would make using those capabilities easier and the user experience better.

flagpole
425 Can't open data connection
First name: nigel
Last name: coldwell

#5 Post by flagpole » 2018-07-18 18:10

Why not just remote in to one of the server's then initiate the transfer from there?

ZippyZippy
First name: q
Last name: a

#6 Post by ZippyZippy » 2018-07-18 19:25

That assumes you have command-line access, which may not always be the case. Plus, there's something to be said for the simplicity of just drag-n-drop, rather than having to go through a command-line.