So long with FileZilla.... Thank you and goodbye.

Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

jdran
500 Command not understood

So long with FileZilla.... Thank you and goodbye.

#1 Post by jdran » 2015-08-29 13:02

Tim and team,
I have been around for so many years. If I remember well, I first downloaded Filezilla around at 2004 or 2005. I was still a student trying to get the shit together.
FileZilla became my favorite tool with its simple and undistracting interface and its really fast services.. it may sound silly but I always got happy when I opened the program to transfer my final projects online.
I must say a thank you for being next to me (even impersonally) and my projects. I wanted to give back my thanks, so I decided to donate you an amount back at 2009, exactly after I received my first big project's payment. I did the same for other developers who had their projects "open source". And this amount was not just "a coffee".

Sometime at 2014 - 2015, I felt or realized that the regime (or status quo?) and philosophy of Filezilla's project changed dramatically.
There was ScourgeForge's wrapper (c and g put intentionally) in installer, bugs at Mac's version (could never get connected to my servers), continuous downloads of new versions even if I chose not to update without prompt at settings, and some antivirus' alerts that I deliberately ignored. Amount of work I had to do and trust to your project made me ignore the fact that things may change. I just found a previous version and got my Mac work again and that's what it.
Finally, after so long, I decided to spend time to see what's going wrong and I did some research and I can say I am very disappointed.
You may have your reasons for doing this to FileZilla and not turning into GitHub for example (I can't believe that talented programmers as you have that need of money, to ditch their wonderful project..) and I can't blame you for that.
However, I can't continue anymore in this situation. I lost my trust and that I feel that this cycle with FileZilla in current situation (especially in ScourgeForge) has been closed now.
Things might change if you decide to go to a safer place, such as github or whatever you choose. Just drop me an email and here will I be again.
Goodbye my friends.