Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

entangledloops
500 Command not understood
First name: Stephen
Last name: Dunn

Feature suggestion: checksums

#1 Post by entangledloops » 2016-05-10 23:25

I'd love to have the ability to do a quick checksum of two files (or folders) in the left/right pane, doesn't matter which algorithm.

I'm often working on servers where I FTP some medium-large size files (~5 gb) back-and-forth and it would be great to check a box at transfer time to verify sanity.
I know it can't be too much code to implement (*sigh*, nothing's ever easy, I realize that).

Seems like a perfect addition to the "Directory comparison" menu. Didn't see it suggested after briefly searching these forums, but I'll admit I didn't look too hard after a long day of build errors.

boco
Contributor

Re: Feature suggestion: checksums

#2 Post by boco » 2016-05-11 20:24

FTP unfortunately doesn't support this as there's no direct/random access to files on FTP servers. That would mean,

- the FTP server software has to be told by the user to hash the file on the server directly. Unfortunately, such an official feature doesn't exist. There's a draft proposal to the IETF for a HASH command that would allow this - but don't hold your breath, yet.

or

- using one of the unofficial commands in existence (CRC/XCRC, MD5/XMD5, SHA/XSHA etc.). FileZilla software will not use these as their implementation is not standardized and thus ambiguous.

or

- re-download each and any file to check the hash. The burning of resources and the introduced level of uncertainty make that approach effectively useless.

or

- have the server software maintain hash-tables. Could be a viable option for servers with relatively static content, but not for a live, actively used one.

Yes, it's not easy at all, in this case.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org