Multi-Part Downloads Feature Needed

Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

raresolid
500 Command not understood

Multi-Part Downloads Feature Needed

#1 Post by raresolid » 2016-12-12 23:09

Hello,

I have several servers in Spain that I need to transfer back to North America. When I transfer a file from Spain to North America I am getting no faster then 1MB/s transfer speeds. The connection in North America is gigabit fiber and the servers are in a data center in Spain. I need to backup the files via FTP but I can't do that at 1MB/s speeds. I understand that FileZilla has multi-thread capability, but in my case I need Multi-Part. Is there a way I can do this with FileZilla or should I use some of the other FTP clients like CuteFTP, SmartFTP and so on? I am most familiar with FileZilla and prefer to use this as my client if possible.

Thank for your help!

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Multi-Part Downloads Feature Needed

#2 Post by botg » 2016-12-12 23:46

In its default settings FileZilla is capable to fully saturate a transatlantic gigabit link. It sounds as if the server you are connecting to isn't configured correctly

wayner
500 Command not understood
First name: Wayne
Last name: Kozun

#3 Post by wayner » 2017-01-22 01:11

Same thing for me. I try to FTP files from a server in the Netherlands to Canada. The best I get with FileZilla is 2.5MBps. With Bitkenix, software that hasn't been supported for many years, using multi-segment downloads I get 8MBps.

This topic has been discussed over and over. Everyone loves Filezilla but this would be a HUGELY beneficial feature - please implement this!

I hate using Bitkenix but it is just SO much faster.

robena
503 Bad sequence of commands

#4 Post by robena » 2017-10-12 18:31

botg wrote:In its default settings FileZilla is capable to fully saturate a transatlantic gigabit link. It sounds as if the server you are connecting to isn't configured correctly
That's absolutely incorrect.

I have NEVER been able to fully exploit my gigabit line, even with a Filezilla server.

The ONLY way to do that is to use segmented transfers. Tools like Internet Download Manager of lftp do it very well. Filezilla is just hopefully dated in this gibabit world, and its author just refuses to admit it.

It's ok, it's his product and it's free, he can do what he wants with it. Just look elsewhere.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#5 Post by botg » 2017-10-12 19:12

Since it is absolutely incorrect, please provide proof. What is FileZilla doing wrong? Why cannot FileZilla saturate a transatlantic gigabit connection in its default settings?