Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

mlokc
500 Command not understood
First name: Maddie
Last name: Lee

No editable files after connecting

#1 Post by mlokc » 2018-03-08 16:02

I have a general understanding of HTML and can typically figure out what I need to figure out. However, it's been a very long time since I've tried to update a website that only has FTP access. Knowing that I sort of don't know what I'm doing anymore... I can't seem to find the files to actually edit what's on the site. This is the only access the client has and they are not currently interested in building a new site (awesome) so I'm trying to update a few minor things like changing an employees title. I've included a screenshot below of what I'm trying to work with, any help would be greatly appreciated.

The site was clearly built a million years ago by a company that has since gone out of business. So, if the only option is to move build a new site, I'm also happy with that answer.
Attachments
Screenshot of what's available to me.
Screenshot of what's available to me.
Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 9.52.57 AM.png (843.64 KiB) Viewed 2583 times

boco
Contributor

Re: No editable files after connecting

#2 Post by boco » 2018-03-09 01:25

Looks like a pretty basic website (HTML, no fancy PHP or CGI stuff). All files are probably important. The most important are:

.html = These documents make up the actual site's contents, and contain the HTML code. The index.html file is the document loaded first by the Browser. HTML documents are connected by hyperlinks inside the code. If you need to change contents of the page, look into the .html files.

.css = Cascading Style Sheet - these are the files responsible for the layout or style (how the site looks, fonts, colors, positions of elements etc.).

favicon.ico = the sites little icon the Browser displays on tabs etc. It's an old way displaying a site icon, but it still works.

The PDF documents are put there as downloads, probably. Leave the .htaccess and .ftpquota fles alone unless you know what you're doing.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org