Some hack to make FileZilla automatically upload saved files?

Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

wrybread
500 Command not understood

Some hack to make FileZilla automatically upload saved files?

#1 Post by wrybread » 2018-03-13 20:29

I've read the posts explaining that Filezilla client won't be adding the ability to automatically upload saved files without the user having to tab over and confirm a dialog box (ugh!), and understand the logic, but disagree with it. I've been using FTP programs with automatic uploading for 20+ years and have never once had a file get corrupted. Furthermore even if it did somehow happen, it would be fixed the next time I saved the file. It would be nice if Filezilla added the feature as an opt-in, and displayed whatever gloom and doom message they wanted if a user dared to enabled it.

Anyway, the absence of this feature is a dealbreaker for me, it simply takes too much time to tab over and click "yes" on that insipid dialog every single time I want to check an update, and I can't imagine anyone doing heavy website work with this program as is. But I love the program otherwise. I was wondering if anyone has come up with a fix or hack for this? Maybe there's an alternative build? Or some automation script that would click "yes" on that dialog box whenever it appeared? That would be easy in Windows using AutoHotKey, but alas I'm on Ubuntu. Any tips?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Some hack to make FileZilla automatically upload saved files?

#2 Post by botg » 2018-03-13 22:30

Nope. We won't play Russian roulette with your files.

wrybread
500 Command not understood

#3 Post by wrybread » 2018-03-13 22:46

I really question your assumptions here. First off, every single FTP program I've ever used auto uploads when the file is saved, including the built-in tools in Ubuntu (Nautilus or whatever the user is using). At a minimum the chances of corruption are miniscule. And it bears repeating that I've been using tools that auto upload when a file is changed for 20+ years, literally thousands of times per day (per upload), and have never had an issue. Not even one time. Nor has anyone I work with. And besides, even if I did, the local file would still be fine so I could simply re upload it.

And it's clearly important to users and a dealbreaker to many. So adding it as an opt-in option, with appropriate dire warnings, seems appropriate.

Anyway, still hoping to find a workaround, in the absence of an actual fix.

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2018-03-14 03:25

No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org