Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

davidlulu
500 Command not understood
First name: David
Last name: Gerstein

Can't access website to modifiy my webpage

#1 Post by davidlulu » 2018-03-26 13:47

I am trying to login my website for the first time in, more or less, 10 years - since I first created my website. I want to make some minor modifications to it. When I try to login I receive the message, Response: 530 Login incorrect (in green) and below that Error: Critical error: Could not connect to server (in red). I'm using the same user name and password that I used years ago. The user name is automatically entered for my host name, and the password is the one I copied when I established my user profile. Apparently something has happened with my password. Is there a way to recover it, or to reset it? Or another way to gain access to my webpage to make the modifications? :?:

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Can't access website to modifiy my webpage

#2 Post by botg » 2018-03-26 16:11

Please double-check your login credentials, watch our for character case and leading/trailing whitespace. Contact your server administrator or server hosting provider for further assistance if the issue persists.

davidlulu

#3 Post by davidlulu » 2018-03-26 16:50

I double-checked my credentials, character case and whitespaces, tried to login multiple times with no success. I know this sounds dumb but I don't know how to contact my server administrator, or what my server hosting provider would be able to do. Does your suggestion mean that I should be using the user name and password I use to log onto my webpage hosting site? Sorry for being so obtuse.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2018-03-26 19:42

You could try to contact whoever gave you access to the server initially.

davidlulu

#5 Post by davidlulu » 2018-03-26 20:18

I double-checked my password for logging onto my webpage host and discovered that I'd changed it at some point during the past 10 years. I tried using the new password and succeeded in accessing my webpage. Thanks for the advice :D