Moderator: Project members

gjsman
500 Command not understood
First name: GJSman
Last name: User

FileZilla unofficially in the Windows Store

#1 Post by gjsman » 2018-05-30 14:27

Hi,

I published FileZilla (unofficially, marked as such) into the Windows 10 Store, where people can download it for free, get automatic updates through the Store, run it on Windows 10 S / S Mode computers, and have a clean install and uninstall experience. It is based on the official FileZilla installers, and is only an unofficial repackaging. If the FileZilla team (I am new here) wants to make an official packaging of FileZilla for the Windows Store, let me know and I can help out with that.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p ... 7x7k?rtc=1

Also, if Tim Kosse is interested in me helping to package FileZilla Pro to the Windows Store, I'd be happy to help.
GJSMan
gjsman@protonmail.com

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: FileZilla unofficially in the Windows Store

#2 Post by botg » 2018-05-31 07:26

As per our trademark policy (https://filezilla-project.org/trademark_policy.php) you are not allowed to do this.

You need to remove it from the Windows Store immediately.

gjsman

#3 Post by gjsman » 2018-05-31 13:01

botg wrote:
2018-05-31 07:26
As per our trademark policy (https://filezilla-project.org/trademark_policy.php) you are not allowed to do this.

You need to remove it from the Windows Store immediately.
Oh man... I read it, and I was distributing unmodified binaries, and clearly stated the notice about it and everything, but I failed to notice this line:
If you are distributing FileZilla binaries yourself, and wish to use the FileZilla trademark, you may not (a) disable, modify or otherwise interfere with any installation mechanism contained in a FileZilla product; (b) use any such installation mechanism to install any plug-ins, themes, extensions, software, or items other than the FileZilla product; or (c) use or provide any program, mechanism or process (other than an installation mechanism contained in the FileZilla product) to install such product. Any use of a meta-installer would require our prior written permission.
Sorry about that, it is being removed from the Store right now. If there is a way for it to publish it on the Store please let me know.

gjsman

#4 Post by gjsman » 2018-05-31 19:35

@botg I currently have about 5-6 downloads of the unofficial app as of the present. To handle this...

1) I could (happily) just update the app to a mostly empty app I would have wrote with "Please download the official FileZilla from this link", so that any users who had it would be forced to download the website version
2) Perhaps get trademark exception because it is just an installer change?
3) Something else... FileZilla officially on the Store would be best...

In the meantime, it will be gone from the Store in give-or-take 12 hours (Microsoft's timeline, not mine) from the public Store listing. Any users who have the app already will still have it, so I am asking if there is something in mind. Otherwise I am going to option #1.

gray25
First name: Graham
Last name: Church

#5 Post by gray25 » 2018-06-06 11:38

Shame. Its useful to have FileZilla in the windows store. So long as its kept updated and verified why not allow it?
<Removed, read the rules!>

robbiegod
504 Command not implemented
First name: Robert
Last name: Fletcher

#6 Post by robbiegod » 2018-08-15 20:23

i agree. I'd like to see it in the store.

Before you were saying it was because you don't want to maintain two versions of code or whatever. Here you have a volunteer willing to help you out, that means no extra work for you :)

Windows 10 users are approaching 700 million now...How many users do you need to make it worth your while?

Do you have something personally against publishing apps to the store?