Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

rickvanderzwet
500 Command not understood
First name: Rick
Last name: van der Zwet

Bundled offers behaviour during instalation

#1 Post by rickvanderzwet » 2018-06-19 19:23

Since user experience/feedback is valued, i hope the following story would help to gain insight into the user install process.

Motivation
I needed a good FTP client and somebody told me the Open Source FileZilla which could be used for free was a perfect fit for my needs.

Experience of Installation Process
The first step of installing FileZilla is finding it. Since all major search engines has the main project page at top listing, this part is covered.

Next finding the download option. This is a bit more challenging; first you click on the big grey button and next the big green button. For a Windows install this gives a selection box between two versions:
Screenshot from 2018-06-19 20-37-23.png
Screenshot from 2018-06-19 20-37-23.png (27.71 KiB) Viewed 2895 times
The Pro version (first and most obvious button) redirects me to some external page wanting to pay for this version, which seems odd this is not listed in the comparison. As such I went back to the selection screen and selected the alternative. Following the installer seems like any other installer, which requires pressing Next a few times to install the program using it's default settings. It seems to generate a few cents of income by displaying advertisements during installation, also fine with me.

After installation the computer has to be rebooted and all went downhill. Apparently those advertisements contained small print agreeing to install Avast Anti-virus, as learned after investigation this was a bundled offer, this caused conflicts with existing software (virus scanners) and company enforced software policies, ending up in a re-install of the software.

Evaluation of Installation Process
I understand I consented to agree to install the software ,by leaving the tickmark selected and pressing Next, how-ever this seems against common practice and EU regulation with regards to consent and pre-ticked checkboxes:
3) Banning pre-ticked boxes on websites

When shopping online – for instance buying a plane ticket – you may be offered additional options during the purchase process, such as travel insurance or car rental. These additional services may be offered through so-called ‘pre-ticked’ boxes. Consumers are currently often forced to untick those boxes if they do not want these extra services. With the new Directive, pre-ticked boxes will be banned across the European Union.
Generating income using the bundle supported software just feels wrong to me and I am hoping my user experience and expectation would help for futher installs. Installing software should be a friendly and welcome approach, after all it's the first time you get in contact with your potential new user, after he/she managed to get around the burden of finding you, downloading you, starting the installer, etc. The installer should have a warm and fuzzy feeling of happiness of using a new product for the first time. I would not mind if the last page of the installer gives me a remainder on how-to express 'thank you' to the amazing people who made the software. Pre-checked bundled software installs does not fall in any of those categories imho.

I do believe FileZilla is a user-space application, installation by any user should made trivial, it should not require an experienced software administrator to install the package. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Suggestion
I understand the fact income has to been generated to keep the lights of the amazing FileZilla project running, not sure how much you folks need on a yearly basis since it is not (transparently) listed, how-ever it still leaves me wondering if this kind bundled software income is a sustainable model which follows a friendly user approach.

I would not mind donation a few EUR after using the program for a while, just because good projects needs to be supported. Or buying the Pro (or Supporter) version if explained why and how many income is required to keeps the lights running.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Bundled offers behaviour during instalation

#2 Post by botg » 2018-06-19 23:04

I do believe FileZilla is a user-space application, installation by any user should made trivial, it should not require an experienced software administrator to install the package. Please correct me if I am wrong.
You are correct on this one. All it takes to install any software, from beginner to experiences admin, should be reading what it shown in screen and acting accordingly.

Regarding the matter of the checkboxes I'll bring with up to the attention of the legal team of the company serving the offers.