Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

writerjim
500 Command not understood
First name: Jim
Last name: Williams

where to load to, and other issues

#1 Post by writerjim » 2018-07-19 15:31

I see that this is the ONLY way to get a useful answer to my problems with load up. I have bought space thru GoDaddy, and they referred me to the FileZilla ftp device to load my files. I put in the IP, username, password, and port #'s. All good so far. Then comes finding my files on my side of the screen, no problem. THEN problem. I tried to determine WHERE on the right side to put the files- no clear indication of where to put them. When I highlighted my files, I then right-clicked and the word "copy" never showed. So I tried to drag them across to what I THOUGHT might be the right folder. As I dragged, a symbol appeared, and the system started acting as if I HAD gotten them across, only it hadn't!
I am total newbie at this, don't have any idea HOW to do this, and GoDaddy was NO help, either! Can anybody in here help me get my website loaded? I will admit it doesn't have any JavaScript or JQuery in it, only HTML/CSS coding. Is that a problem?

boco
Contributor

Re: where to load to, and other issues

#2 Post by boco » 2018-07-21 01:34

I have bought space thru GoDaddy, and they referred me to the FileZilla ftp device to load my files.
No, they only referred you here to download the FileZilla Client software, nothing else.
I tried to determine WHERE on the right side to put the files- no clear indication of where to put them.
Excellent question for GoDaddy support, that's where your files go to. Asking us makes no sense, it's like asking your car manufacturer where you should drive to.
Common locations for the website files are the root directory, or directories like "htdocs", "www" or "public_html". Simply upload the index.html / index.htm to the root, then check in the browser if the location is correct. Same for the subdirectories (it will usually already exist on the server).
When I highlighted my files, I then right-clicked and the word "copy"
"Copy" is a term used for local file duplication only. Getting the files onto GoDaddy's server is dubbed "Upload", while getting anything from the server is "Download".
I will admit it doesn't have any JavaScript or JQuery in it, only HTML/CSS coding. Is that a problem?
No, pure HTML websites without Javascript are the most compatible ones in existence, provided you adhered to the HTML standards.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org