Increasing Upload Speed

Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

mh01
500 Command not understood

Increasing Upload Speed

#1 Post by mh01 » 2019-06-12 16:53

It looks like FileZilla is uploading files to servers as fast as it can - I had a good look through the FileZilla preferences and couldn't find any switches or anything like that to make things go faster. I don't have Speed Limits enabled or anything like that. Am I doing everything I can to make my transfers as fast as possible? Are there other hardware or software configurations that would make things faster?

I'm okay with the speed being what it is now - just wanted to make sure that I was checking out all of my options.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Increasing Upload Speed

#2 Post by botg » 2019-06-12 17:27

Get a faster Internet connection and make sure you are connecting to a server that has a fast connection as well.

boco
Contributor

Re: Increasing Upload Speed

#3 Post by boco » 2019-06-12 20:11

- Be aware that most broadband today is asymmetric - you download much faster than you upload.
- Speed can also depend on how many hops the packets have to pass through - if the number is to large it might exceed the TTL (Time To Live) and then you are dealing with packet loss and thus slowdowns (as packets have to be re-transmitted).
- Check that path MTU is working and your MTU is large enough for preventing packet fragmentation, especially important for IPv6.
- Packet analyzers of any kind can slow down traffic, especially SPI. This is true even for encrypted packets, to a degree.

Unavoidable is the fact that FTP is bad for many small files, due to the overhead. Large files are fastest.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org