lostintrain
500 Command not understood
First name: S
Last name: C

File not fully uploaded from FTP

#1 Post by lostintrain » 2019-06-30 21:07

Hello
I have faced the below issue:
I realise that file that was uploaded from FTP into Local Drive has a different size than the file placed on FTP
(upload took place a couple of days ago via Filezilla).

detail data:
file placed on FTP: data uploaded from an external computer 150 MB Last modified date: 6/25/2019 8:37:59 AM
this same file transferred into Local Drive: manually (upload from FTP to Local Drive was started by user) 60MB Last modified date: 6/25/2019 8:36:53 AM

FTP setup:
FTP-File Transfer Protocol
Encryption: Use explicit FTP over TLS if available
Login Type: Normal
Transfer mode: Default
Charset:Autodetect
I using FileZilla via VDI connection/ in FileZilla status windows often occurs Status: Disconnected from server

I'm, not FileZilla and FTP connections expert, therefore, could You please help me with below doubts:

1. Could you please provide me with the possible scenarios/ root cause of this? One is that file transfer started and finished before the file was completely loaded into FTP.
2. In Total Commander I have Issue communicated: ERROR downloading file: when I try to upload the file from FTP when the file transfer into FTP is not finished yet. Is something that can warn me that the file is still in upload in FileZilla? how to avoid this hypothetical situation in the future?
3. What can I do to have connection FTP more stable?
4. Somewhere In FileZilla is placed detail documentation about when data uploading will start/stability connection during uploading / finished?

Thank You in Advance

lostintrain

Re: File not fully uploaded from FTP

#2 Post by lostintrain » 2019-07-02 05:40

How to avoid a situation when the user starts to download a file from FTP before this file fully will be placed on FTP?

is an option in FileZilla to have info about the error?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#3 Post by botg » 2019-07-02 07:25

How to avoid a situation when the user starts to download a file from FTP before this file fully will be placed on FTP?
Upload it to a location only the uploader has access to and afterwards move it to where the other users have access to.

lostintrain

#4 Post by lostintrain » 2019-07-02 15:33

Thanks but I think is not a solution

lets supposed a hypothetical situation:
1 I waiting for a file(X) from a client that will be placed on FTP.
2. I refreshed file and folder list in Filezilla and found that file(X) is placed and have at this moment 50MB
3. I start download file(X) from FTP to my local drive
4. The file(X) is uploaded into my local drive but has 60MB
5. I again refreshed file and folder list in Filezilla and realized that file(X) in FTP have 120MB and its size is constantly increasing

summarize in FileZilla I have no any info about that I uploading an incomplete file, only when I 'll check files size I can found an issue
(for example in Total Commander is impossible to upload the incomplete file because from FTP we receive ERROR communicate can I have something similar in Fillezilla?

boco
Contributor

#5 Post by boco » 2019-07-02 16:36

summarize in FileZilla I have no any info about that I uploading an incomplete file
Correct, the server does not provide that information. The FTP protocol has no concept of locking files.
(for example in Total Commander is impossible to upload the incomplete file because from FTP we receive ERROR communicate can I have something similar in Fillezilla?
Might be coincidence. File locking is completely up to the server software and the server OS' file system. Some will lock exclusively, others won't.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org