Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

serena
500 Command not understood
First name: Serena
Last name: C

Value in keeping older downloads

#1 Post by serena » 2020-04-22 15:26

Is there any value in keeping an archive of past downloads of Filezilla downloads that I have stored on my laptop? Found that I have every download since 2009 and could use the space but am unsure if there is any reason to keep older versions. It's been a long time since I used Filezilla and have not kept up with the changes. Am reviewing all of my file archives in anticipation of getting a new hard drive. Know this a a newbie sort of question but am unsure if I would ever need to roll back to an older version. Recovering from a brain injury so get confused about some of the tech stuff so reading the tech docs is difficult right now.

boco
Contributor

Re: Value in keeping older downloads

#2 Post by boco » 2020-04-22 16:06

If your current version runs good, you can delete any version prior. No use in keeping them.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

HenryELenz
504 Command not implemented
First name: Henry
Last name: Lenz

Re: Value in keeping older downloads

#3 Post by HenryELenz » 2020-04-26 03:03

Frankly, I would keep copies of the older versions.

Recently the latest update lost me the ability to shrink the Filezilla window down to a quarter of the screen -- which is what I needed to do my work -- two Filezilla windows and two folder windows.

When I couldn't even shrink the window down to a third of the screen, the constant toggling back and forth between Filezilla and the folders literally cut my work throughput in half.

I finally removed the current version and installed version 3.41.2 from my download archive. My work is back to the old level -- twice as fast as the new version let it be.

Here is my post: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52667

I had requested the size control feature to be put back but was flatly refused. Since the older version works, I won't be "upgrading" again -- not if they are going to take away useful features and double the time it takes to do the work.