Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

serena
500 Command not understood
First name: Serena
Last name: C

Value in keeping older downloads

#1 Post by serena » 2020-04-22 15:26

Is there any value in keeping an archive of past downloads of Filezilla downloads that I have stored on my laptop? Found that I have every download since 2009 and could use the space but am unsure if there is any reason to keep older versions. It's been a long time since I used Filezilla and have not kept up with the changes. Am reviewing all of my file archives in anticipation of getting a new hard drive. Know this a a newbie sort of question but am unsure if I would ever need to roll back to an older version. Recovering from a brain injury so get confused about some of the tech stuff so reading the tech docs is difficult right now.

boco
Contributor

Re: Value in keeping older downloads

#2 Post by boco » 2020-04-22 16:06

If your current version runs good, you can delete any version prior. No use in keeping them.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

HenryELenz
504 Command not implemented
First name: Henry
Last name: Lenz

Re: Value in keeping older downloads

#3 Post by HenryELenz » 2020-04-26 03:03

Frankly, I would keep copies of the older versions.

Recently the latest update lost me the ability to shrink the Filezilla window down to a quarter of the screen -- which is what I needed to do my work -- two Filezilla windows and two folder windows.

When I couldn't even shrink the window down to a third of the screen, the constant toggling back and forth between Filezilla and the folders literally cut my work throughput in half.

I finally removed the current version and installed version 3.41.2 from my download archive. My work is back to the old level -- twice as fast as the new version let it be.

Here is my post: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52667

I had requested the size control feature to be put back but was flatly refused. Since the older version works, I won't be "upgrading" again -- not if they are going to take away useful features and double the time it takes to do the work.