FTP/Filezilla a reasonable way to send files over the internet to/from novices?

Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

JeffB
500 Command not understood
First name: Jeff

FTP/Filezilla a reasonable way to send files over the internet to/from novices?

#1 Post by JeffB » 2021-03-01 22:09

A new acquaintance and I took pictures and video for a speaker event for a charity and wanted to exchange files for editing and so on without having to drive ~ 50 miles each way to exchange SD cards.

There are too many files and some are too large to email or even to upload to free cloud storage and send links to each other. I have thought of torrents or perhaps FTP as possible options but neither of us are solid on the fundamentals at all for either of them. I have used both, but just a little bit in the past. The other gentleman had never heard of either of them and is almost a computer newbie.

In reading a sticky or two here it sounds like things could be pretty complex and require perhaps many hours of reading to get up to speed on networking, routing, firewalls etc. and even then might run into a wall such that even a computer guru might conclude that "you can't get there from here". Is that a reasonable reading of the challenge we might be up against in using FTP as a possible solution?

On a simpler note, my counterpart will be wanting to send files to me. I might need to send files to him and/or someone else. Would I need to install both FileZilla Client and FileZilla Server to both send and receive files, or would FileZilla Server be able to both send and receive?

Would using something like uTorrent likely be a simpler solution for us?

Thank you for any recommendations or insights anyone might be willing to share.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: FTP/Filezilla a reasonable way to send files over the internet to/from novices?

#2 Post by botg » 2021-03-04 09:53

FTP is a reasonable solution for this. Files are always transferred between an FTP server and an FTP client, with the client being the initiating part, regardless of the direction the files transfer. One of you needs to install an FTP client, the other one a server.

Using an FTP client is straightforward, everyone familiar with the concept of files and directories should be able to use one.

Setting up an FTP server is a bit more difficult, there are these pesky firewalls and NAT routers making our lives miserable. How to configure firewalls and NAT routers for FTP is explained in our Network Configuration guide. You can also use https://ftptest.net/ to test your FTP server.

JeffB
500 Command not understood
First name: Jeff

Re: FTP/Filezilla a reasonable way to send files over the internet to/from novices?

#3 Post by JeffB » 2021-03-14 05:18

Thank you very much!

DennisOlof
504 Command not implemented
First name: Dennis
Last name: Olof

#4 Post by DennisOlof » 2021-03-18 21:54

A more easy solution is to use some sort of dropbox type service, or free hosting service on the Internet.

No need for your personal FTP server on your personal computer and the files are online 24/7 on some
server somewhere. There are often file size limitations, time limitations, and other restrictions but
for personal use this is not a major problem and works great for most people. All you need are some
basic computer skills.

You could use 7-zip to zip all the files and split if over multiple files. That way, even if the original file
is huge in size it will fit on most hosting services. And you can send one file at a time.

Eventually the person receiving the large file will have downloaded all the files and can then un-zip the
stuff on the computer.

I used to run my own FTP server back in the day and transfer file that way, today with the "cloud" and
all online service there is no need for that unless you have special needs or some special use for it.

Hope that helps.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#5 Post by botg » 2021-03-19 15:37

A more easy solution is to use some sort of dropbox type service, or free hosting service on the Internet.
Don't forget about the data privacy implications if going that route.

DennisOlof
504 Command not implemented
First name: Dennis
Last name: Olof

#6 Post by DennisOlof » 2021-03-19 19:53

Thanks for adding that information, botg.

I forgot about that. Do not send any information that needs high security
or that could compromise you etc.

I guess most people have read about celebrity people getting hacked,
leaked information like e-mails, videos etc. Something to think about.

:)