Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

hartlepoolmonkey
500 Syntax error
First name: Hartlepool
Last name: Monkey

Website hacker

#1 Post by hartlepoolmonkey » 2021-08-23 13:02

For the last two days, I've had information from Google, that a certain party is claiming to be a new owner of a website I run for a friend.

The fraudster has managed to add an HTML code within FileZilla. This nasty person is using a gmail address. I've had to log into my friend's website twice and remove the html code. How can I stop this happening please?
"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It!"

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Website hacker

#2 Post by botg » 2021-08-23 14:38

Please note that FileZilla is merely the tool you are using to transfer files, there is no such thing as "adding a HTML code within FileZilla".

You or your friend, depending on who owns the account used to log into the server, needs to change the account's password.

hartlepoolmonkey
500 Syntax error

#3 Post by hartlepoolmonkey » 2021-08-23 21:10

Hi botg - thanks for the update. I just found it strange that the html file appeared in the uploaded section on FileZilla. I am wondering how it got in there? Anyway, I'm following various leads and rest assured the password will be changed. I'll be speaking to the server tomorrow.

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2021-08-24 07:31

FileZilla is mainly an FTP/SFTP client. The remote side in FileZilla just depicts what is stored on the FTP server of the web space provider. It is not a vault you own, exclusively. If the account is hacked/breached (password known to an adversary), a third-party can access the server account and all data within and modify it.
In other words: Nothing is stored inside the FileZilla application, it is stored on the web server. You are merely accessing the data using FileZilla (as a vehicle), something anyone and everyone knowing the login data can do.

Change the account password on the server (or have the provider reset it). Then, delete everything and upload a new, fresh copy of the website, as it could have been altered in ways unbeknownst to you.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

hartlepoolmonkey
500 Syntax error

#5 Post by hartlepoolmonkey » 2021-08-24 12:39

Thank you for the excellent and informative replies. This matter is now closed.