Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

allsite
500 Command not understood
First name: R
Last name: S

FileZilla UI is falling behind the curve

#1 Post by allsite » 2021-09-17 01:05

FileZilla has great functionality, but in terms of UI has fallen off for me for a handful of reasons.

Column widths:
I'm noticing inconsistent behavior, where my column widths are not being saved. Oddly, the columns are absolutely tiny each time I launch the program on my 4k monitor. I have to expand each one. They also don't scale when the UI window size is changed, nor do they react to screen resolution changing, in the case I move from my 4k to my 1080p. Overall the layout fails to utilize the width of the screen, with no option to move sections to a sidebar.

Drag and drop missing options:
There are so many cases I need an option to disable this. I'd rather not risk moving my client's public_html folder into their tmp folder. One must click extremely carefully to not blow up a prod site because this option is missing.

Themes (no dark mode?):
The themes are essentially just icon sets. Working long hours at night, tabbing over to FZ is a flash of light, hard on the eyes. My editing tools all support some form of dark mode, as does the software admin interfaces I'm developing, my graphic design software, database viewer and so on. In my opinion the best course of action would be to use the system color scheme and dump the "Themes" option completely, as there's essentially no benefit in changing the icons.

I hope this criticism is received in a constructive manner and thank you to all who have contributed to FZ.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: FileZilla UI is falling behind the curve

#2 Post by botg » 2021-09-17 08:53

Column widths: Cannot reproduce.

Drag and drop can be disabled through filezilla.xml

FileZilla uses the operating system's theme. Configure Windows to use a proper dark theme, and FileZilla will be dark as well.

Pachat
503 Bad sequence of commands

#3 Post by Pachat » 2021-10-20 14:43

@botg
> FileZilla uses the operating system's theme. Configure Windows to use a proper dark theme, and FileZilla will be dark as well.
That is not the case. My Windows is properly configured to dark theme. Which I have in any application...except FileZilla that stays white.

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2021-10-21 01:20

Define "properly". Setting Dark mode in Windows 10 and up is not "properly", as it applies only to apps and programs targeting the UWP framework. MS wants to pretend there isn't anything more (in order to promote UWP), so, they removed the theme and color settings that have existed since at least Windows 95. You would have to unlock uxtheme.dll and use third-party apps to set a proper dark theme in Windows. What a shame.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org