Moderator: Project members

tinribs
500 Command not understood
First name: Mark
Last name: Phillips

Passive mode

#1 Post by tinribs » 2022-03-03 10:37

Hi All
This is probably not a FZ specific issue but I have no-one to ask atm.
I have a linux based wireless controller that needs to have its OS downgraded so we can connect it to our very old WAPs
The process for this is to boot the box into Linux recovery, assign it a static IP address etc then connect to an FTP server that has the relevant file and then transfer it across. After that the rest is automatic.
I've tried this with the native Win10 FTP server and now with FZ
In both cases I can connect to the IP address of the FTP server and logon using the credentials I have configured.
I am supposed to then navigate to where the file is and use a linux command "mget" to transfer the file across.
My problem is that after connecting and authenticating I get the FTP> prompt as I would expect. I then enter ls to list the files and the prompt that comes back is
"Entering Passive Mode (10,5*,2**,***,233,229)" I've redacted some of the IP information....
Once that prompt appears the system just ignores anything I type until it times out and goes back to the FTP> prompt
I tried using CD to change directory to where the file is (C:\FTP) - that seems to work.
I entered the mget command for the file and that just sits and hangs until it times out
I've done the following:
Enabled ports 20 and 21 incoming and outgoing in the Windows Defender Firewall.
Enabled FTP as an app in the same firewall
Specified passive ports as the defaults when installing FZ server and enabled the same range in and out on the computer firewall.
Both the server and the linux box are on the same subnet of an internal network - there are no external firewalls, nats etc in the equation. I can ping everything I need to..
I just can't get the file to the controller.....
I'm hoping this is a simple fix but I do not know where to start from here.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (24.57 KiB) Viewed 2858 times

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Passive mode

#2 Post by botg » 2022-03-03 13:25

"Entering Passive Mode (10,5*,2**,***,233,229)" I've redacted some of the IP information....
Redacting information about unroutable addresses is pointless and just makes diagnosing issues harder.

Have you tried completely disabling the firewall?

tinribs

#3 Post by tinribs » 2022-03-03 13:42

Thanks for that - for some reason turning off the firewall never occurred to me. I can now get to the file and even run a get or mget. Problem now is that it seems to be trying to transfer the file in ascii rather than binary and I don't know if there is even a command on the box to transfer to binary mode....
Any ideas?

tinribs

#4 Post by tinribs » 2022-03-03 13:49

OK - it's all sorted now. Found the binary command and the box is up and running.
all for want of turning off the firewall.

Sheepish...

:oops: :oops: :oops: