Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

bloedel@verizon.net
500 Command not understood
First name: Brian
Last name: Bloedel

Problem and suggestion

#1 Post by bloedel@verizon.net » 2022-03-07 15:24

My problem is that when I try to log in to FileZilla, I keep getting an error message of "Response: 331 User deepth7 OK. Password required" even though my password is being used. The error codes should make the distinction between having no password in the box or having a wrong password in the box.

My suggestion is that the log in page password box include the option to show the password as it is being entered. Without this option there is no way for the user to verify if the password is being correctly entered.

Thank you.

boco
Contributor

Re: Problem and suggestion

#2 Post by boco » 2022-03-08 06:04

What FileZilla products are you using?
My problem is that when I try to log in to FileZilla
You do not "log in to FileZilla". We don't run any services, so, there's nothing to log into.
I keep getting an error message of "Response: 331 User deepth7 OK. Password required" even though my password is being used. The error codes should make the distinction between having no password in the box or having a wrong password in the box.
It is not an error, just a notice that it now expects the password after having received the user account name. FileZilla simply takes what you enter in the boxes and uses that in the standard login procedure (USER username, then PASS password). The procedure itself is standardized in the specs. The notice can be seen only because it is done sequentially, i. e. sending one command, getting response, sending next command, awaiting response etc.
By the way, a wrong password will lead to a "530 Login incorrect." response from the server. That's a real error. Only two cases exist, password correct (or ignored in the anonymous case) or password wrong. The server will never reveal which one of the login data was wrong (username or password or both). Even if you enter an unknown username, you will still be prompted for a password, in order to prevent account guessing.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org