Moderator: Project members

GarryJones
500 Command not understood
First name: Garry
Last name: Jones

Files there and not there

#1 Post by GarryJones » 2022-06-05 07:49

Using latest version 3.60.1

I uploaded 3547 photos and 3547 thumbnails yesterday.

All the files are there when I look at the web.

But in a few cases they are not in the Remote site file list.

For instance
Files A13_0077_wm.jpg & A13_0078_wm.jpg uploaded successfully there can be viewed on the web.

File A13_0077_wm.jpg shows up in the remote file list
If I try to upload it again I get an overwrite warning

File A13_0078_wm.jpg does show up in the remote file list
If I upload it again it overwrites the exiting file, the file name appears for about half a second in the remote file list and vanishes.
The file is not showing up in the file list no matter how many times I upload it.

Search only finds the files that are in the file list and not all the files that are actually on the remote server.

There are a few thousand files missing in the server list and in search. The number of files in the directory is around 13 000 but only 9996 are showing up. With four hidden files I am wondering if there is a limit of 10 000 files for a directory listing and search?

boco
Contributor

Re: Files there and not there

#2 Post by boco » 2022-06-06 20:21

Yes, two hidden items are the . and .. entries. There might be also a hidden .htaccess file and an unknown fourth one from the hoster.
There is a very high chance for a limit of 10,000 items per listing, unfortunately many servers have it configured (it might even be a default configuration entry that's rarely changed).

Important to know, the limit is imposed by the server. Nothing FileZilla can do about it.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

chasdobie
500 Command not understood
First name: Charles
Last name: Dobie

Re: Files there and not there

#3 Post by chasdobie » 2022-07-21 17:02

This conversation has shown me the cause of a problem which has lead me to panic the last few days, so I thank you!
I have several websites, most of which contain over 10,000 files (school yearbook photos, etc.). The websites have been on-line for years and I add to them regularly without problem.
The other day, somehow, I deleted the "data" folder on my computer. I have a backup about 20 days old, so not a complete loss, but I wasn't worried about the website files because the most up-to-date files are on-line and easily visible with a web browser.
So I started to recover the website files using Filizilla -- regular FTP. The files transferred from the server to my computer, but I soon realized that some weren't there -- they displayed in Firefox but didn't show up in the FTP file list.

So now I know why. If I can't convince my web hosting people to increase the file limit, then I'll have to re-design my websites. :(