Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

PeeGee
500 Syntax error
First name: Paul
Last name: Greig

Constantly changing IP address.

#1 Post by PeeGee » 2022-08-02 10:42

People, let me start by saying I am not at all 'tech savy' but I will attempt to explain my issue as best I can.
For a number of years I have maintained a personal website where I post photos and text during our caravan travels in Australia.
Just recently I have had difficulty connecting to FileZilla to allow me to update the website.
I have contacted my hosting service (VentraIP) and they have told me that because I am using a mobile phone system to connect to FileZilla it will not work as I need a static IP Address, the IP address allocated to me via the mobile system constantly changes, they were unable to explain why it has worked correctly for a long time.
It was suggested I contact my ISP (Telstra) to get a static IP address, I did this and was told that static IP addresses are only available to business customers.
I find it incredulous that this issue cannot be overcome...surely I am not the only non-business person using a mobile system and a Nighthawk USB modem to connect to the Internet...I am constantly travelling hence I must use this system.
Could anyone offer any suggestion as to how I might be able to overcome this problem?

Paul
Queensland.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Constantly changing IP address.

#2 Post by botg » 2022-08-02 22:39

Please note that you are not "connecting to FileZilla". FileZilla is merely the tool you are using to connect to your FTP(S) or SFTP server.

Based on your description it sounds like your hosting provider is critically incompetent, consider switching to a better hosting provider.

PeeGee
500 Syntax error
First name: Paul
Last name: Greig

#3 Post by PeeGee » 2022-08-03 09:47

Thank you Botg

eujian
500 Command not understood
First name: Wayan
Last name: Cahyono

#4 Post by eujian » 2022-10-04 14:20

PeeGee wrote:
2022-08-02 10:42
People, let me start by saying I am not at all 'tech savy' but I will attempt to explain my issue as best I can.
For a number of years I have maintained a personal website where I post photos and text during our caravan travels in Australia.
Just recently I have had difficulty connecting to FileZilla to allow me to update the website.
I have contacted my hosting service (VentraIP) and they have told me that because I am using a mobile phone system to connect to FileZilla it will not work as I need a static IP Address, the IP address allocated to me via the mobile system constantly changes, they were unable to explain why it has worked correctly for a long time.
It was suggested I contact my ISP (Telstra) to get a static IP address, I did this and was told that static IP addresses are only available to business customers.
I find it incredulous that this issue cannot be overcome...surely I am not the only non-business person using a mobile system and a Nighthawk USB modem to connect to the Internet...I am constantly travelling hence I must use this system.
Could anyone offer any suggestion as to how I might be able to overcome this problem?

Paul
Queensland.
So yes, problem is on Your hosting provider that too strict on connection limitation. It should be ok to have dynamic IP and use filezilla to connect