Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

piperson
500 Command not understood
First name: Thomas
Last name: Raab

File transfers incomplete

#1 Post by piperson » 2023-03-19 17:49

Since rebuilding my Operation System from Win 10 to Win 11 on a Dell XPS8930 and upgrading to the latest FileZilla release (3.63.2.1), my file transfers are not completing. They are timing out with just a few percent actually being transferred. No error messages are presented.
On a different Win 11 PC, on same home network, the same transfers are working properly.

I need a clue to adjust this application.

Here is the log: The file to be transferred is 1,212,416 bytes

Status: Starting upload of F:\BBS\membersonly\MOI Attendance 2020.xls
Status: Retrieving directory listing of "/htdocs/membersonly"...
Command: TYPE I
Response: 200 Type set to I
Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (206,188,192,48,220,119).
Command: MLSD
Response: 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for MLSD
Response: 226 Transfer complete
Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (206,188,192,48,221,152).
Command: STOR MOI Attendance 2020.xls
Response: 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for MOI Attendance 2020.xls
Error: Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error: File transfer failed
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Status: Starting upload of F:\BBS\membersonly\MOI Attendance 2020.xls
Status: Retrieving directory listing of "/htdocs/membersonly"...
Status: Skipping upload of F:\BBS\membersonly\MOI Attendance 2020.xls
Status: File transfer successful, transferred 7,771 bytes in 6 seconds

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: File transfers incomplete

#2 Post by botg » 2023-03-19 19:12

Odd.

What is your file exists action set to?

piperson

#3 Post by piperson » 2023-03-21 23:05

Set to "Ask for action" downloads and Uploads.

Furthermore, another PC on the same home network with Win 11 and the latest Filezilla has no problem transferring the same files.

botg
Site Admin

#4 Post by botg » 2023-03-22 08:58

Some misbehaving firewall perhaps? Other than that I'm out of ideas.

piperson

#5 Post by piperson » 2023-03-22 18:58

More info.

The problem PC is a Dell XPS8930 Win 11 and is Cat-5 connected to the Router. Provides incomplete Xfers.
The other PC is a Dell Inspiron 15 Win 11 Wifi connected to the same router Router. Xfers properly.

Both PC's have the latest Filezilla version and setting are as installed.

DenisOkalani
First name: Denis
Last name: Okalani

#6 Post by DenisOkalani » 2023-04-18 15:55

It seems that after upgrading to Windows 11 and installing the latest FileZilla release, file transfers are timing out and only a few percent of the file is actually being transferred. The log provided shows that the connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity.

One possible reason for this issue could be a weak connection. Since the same transfers are working properly on a different Windows 11 PC on the same home network, it may be worth checking the connection on the affected PC. A weak or unstable connection can cause file transfer issues, such as timeouts or incomplete transfers.

To address this issue, you can try the following steps:

Check the network connection on the affected PC. You can try restarting the router or modem, or resetting the network adapter on the PC.
Make sure that the firewall or antivirus software is not blocking the FileZilla application.
Try using a wired connection instead of a wireless connection, or vice versa.
Try transferring the file using a different FTP client to see if the issue persists.
If none of these steps resolve the issue, it may be worth seeking further assistance from a technical expert or the FileZilla support team.

boco
Contributor

#7 Post by boco » 2023-04-18 16:08

@DenisOkalani: One more spam link from you and you're out. Just so you know.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

rogerF
First name: Roger
Last name: Fraser

#8 Post by rogerF » 2023-12-15 05:26

I have a similar issue, where a file completes transfer to my server, but FileZilla shows as having queued files remaining. Yet the file on server looks complete and functions properly. Any thoughts much appreciated.

boco
Contributor

#9 Post by boco » 2023-12-15 05:51

Maybe you have it queued more than once, by accident?

You can always right click the queue pane and select "Stop and remove all", to start with a clean slate, next time.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

JaffaCake
First name: Paul B
Last name: Salter

#10 Post by JaffaCake » 2023-12-23 14:41

having similar issues, transfer are very start / stop, handshake with seedbox taking for ages, have updated and tried to go back to previous build, no luck, seedbox tells me theres no issues their end. have used classicFTP this afternoon and no such issues exist, Not sure whats happened. mine is labouring at welcome message/handshake

s4fz
500 Syntax error

#11 Post by s4fz » 2023-12-28 06:46

I have same problems with Filezilla when use multiple streams each downloading their multiple files in parallel (say you download many files in some directory).

How Filezilla is doing here? Filezilla just rush like crazy and does not care if the files were completely finished, it just keeps downloading other files. If it thinks that the specific stream is not responding or busy, it tries it few times and then (if eventually failed by some reason) it forgets this file leaving it incompletely downloaded and takes another file to download. 5-8 years ago in Windows Filezilla was working OK, but now i tried it in Linux, its GUI looks nice but over last few years I always failed: FZ finishes downloads and ALWAYS leaves you with multiple broken partially downloaded stuff.

WinSCP never leaves you with partially finished files. Even if some streams fail there, stall not responding for a long time etc other streams will take unfinished files eventually later and will complete stalled streams. So i am still forced to go to Windows and use WinSCP (which does not work on Linux or on WINE under Linux)

Just copy what and how WInSCP handling downloads and Filezilla will have 10x times more users.

May be i set something incorrectly?
I use Linux Mint

botg
Site Admin

#12 Post by botg » 2023-12-28 08:37

Failed transfers are not forgotten, they are placed in the failed transfers tab of the queue, from which they can be re-queued.

s4fz
500 Syntax error

#13 Post by s4fz » 2024-01-19 23:12

Well, my impression is that the authors are not familiar with 2-factor authentication like Duo now used everywhere. In every university for example it is a default. Because of defect of Filezilla i described in previous post it always miss 3-4 of downloads when you try to download all 9 streams in parallel allowed by the settings (9). That happens because you have to authorize initially all of them with Duo when download starts. The Filezilla does not care that it takes a half of a minute to click on Duo and places several of these 9 files into Failed Transfers.
https://i.postimg.cc/BbqkpHgR/Failed.png
When re-queued, the 1-2 of these 5 failed downloads will again fall and get into failed transfers.

Even worse things happen when you download large directories. With any small hiccup and delay in the network the FZ drops current stream and starts new file download. Then become a total disaster. Because we have many shousands of files sometimes (not uncommon nowadays ), approximately few percents of them will fail to download which could be still thousands of files. When you will try to download these failed files from Failed folder then again few percents of them fail. You may not notice that thinking all was downloaded and will end up with broken downloads.

( And total disaster was few years ago, when FZ refused to place ones failed downloads into Failed Downloads folder second time and you 100% were losing files in this case, i did not check lately if this still happens with latest Filezillas)

Definitely this behavior has to be fixed somehow. Filezilla always have to finish download and check automatically that every bit of initial directory was downloaded safely