Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

rkram132
500 Command not understood
First name: Raj
Last name: k

How to disable the Update popups and Automatic downloads

#1 Post by rkram132 » 2023-04-26 18:54

Recently I noticed that 'Filezilla' automatically downloads its latest version in the 'Download' directory without any confirmation from my end. This is a serious breach of the security and privacy of my system.

There is also the Annoying popup of version update every time i open the application, which doesn't go away regardless of disabling it in the settings.

Does anyone have a solution to disabling this or any alternative software suggestions?

Ps: To the fanatics, I'm not interested in updating to the latest version that pops up every time. I can make my own choices.
Attachments
Filezilla_Auto_download_security_risk.JPG
Filezilla_Auto_download_security_risk.JPG (109.32 KiB) Viewed 2217 times

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: How to disable the Update popups and Automatic downloads

#2 Post by botg » 2023-04-26 19:25

Easy, just update. The antique version you are using is critically outdated.

boco
Contributor

#3 Post by boco » 2023-04-26 21:22

Recently I noticed that 'Filezilla' automatically downloads its latest version in the 'Download' directory without any confirmation from my end. This is a serious breach of the security and privacy of my system.
It's done in order to have it ready to install once it notifies you. It's common practice. Btw, judging from your screenshot you are using a recent Microsoft OS, with them feeding updates into your rear, usually without your explicit acknowledgement. Is that also a breach of security and privacy? FileZilla downloading the file required for updating in the background is the least of your worries.
There is also the Annoying popup of version update every time i open the application, which doesn't go away regardless of disabling it in the settings.
You disable future update checks. You don't disable the offering (or re-offering) of updates it already knows about. Once a FileZilla installation is several months old, it will start displaying update reminders anyway, and those can not be suppressed.
Ps: To the fanatics, I'm not interested in updating to the latest version that pops up every time. I can make my own choices.
You are running a severely outdated networked application for months - are you sure?
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

rkram132
500 Command not understood
First name: Raj
Last name: k

#4 Post by rkram132 » 2023-04-28 23:50

Based on the response and tone, you are more interested in trolling and belittling than being willing to give answers.
I won't waste either of our time.
Best of luck in your feature endeavors.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
For anyone looking for alternatives, search online; there are some decent applications with better privacy options and support.

Ps: Thanks for pointing out the Windows OS issue. I can assure you I have been working on it to phase it out one software at a time. Bye