newbie trying to find out external IP address

Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

pythonprogram
503 Bad sequence of commands

newbie trying to find out external IP address

#1 Post by pythonprogram » 2023-12-07 10:48

I have someone that is trying to send me daily updates and they need my external IP address in order to log into my filezilla server and drop the file. I gave them my local IP address but they said that they need my external IP address. I watched the filezilla tutorial and went into filezilla app -edit - settings-active mode- and checked "Get external IP address from the following URL. I then unchecked the Don't Use external IP address on local connections and hit OK. I am now trying to find out my external IP address so that I can send it to the company and they can give me their file. Please help as I really need to get this done. I went through the Network Configuration Guide and I tried to find out how to obtain or get this information but I had no luck. I also checked the forums but cannot seem to grasp this issue since I am so new to this.

You and your help would be greatly appreciated.

boco
Contributor

Re: newbie trying to find out external IP address

#2 Post by boco » 2023-12-07 17:52

You can look it up in your router. Alternatively, use your favorite web search engine and enter "what is my ip". There are dozens of services offering exactly that. I cannot link to one directly because of our policies.

Recommendation is to start using a dynamic DNS service (there are free ones). Following their instructions correctly, you will get a URL always pointing to your server's public IP automatically, no need to look up anything.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

pythonprogram
503 Bad sequence of commands

Re: newbie trying to find out external IP address

#3 Post by pythonprogram » 2023-12-10 08:26

@ boco

Thanks for the reply and I appreciate you.