Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

inkuu2023
500 Command not understood
Last name: ink

LIST file expects short file name without dir

#1 Post by inkuu2023 » 2024-01-14 04:48

Hello,

I am facing an issue with an older FTP client in my project, and I don't have the permissions to modify it.. This client expects a certain format for file names when requesting the LIST command.

Specifically, when the client requests "LIST test/2.txt", it anticipates receiving just "2.txt" as the file name, rather than "/2.txt" or "/test/2.txt".

I've noticed a discrepancy between different versions of the FileZilla server:

In FileZilla Server 0.9.6, the server responds with "-rw-rw-r-- 1 inkuu inkuu 0 Jan 13 17:23 2.txt", which satisfies the client's expectation and passes.
in FileZilla Server 1.8.0, the server returns "-rw-rw-r-- 1 inkuu inkuu 0 Jan 13 17:23 /test/2.txt", which does not meet the client's requirement and fails.
I've searched through the server configuration options but haven't been able to find a setting that would resolve this issue.

Could anyone please advise on how I might address this incompatibility without modifying the FTP client? It's worth mentioning that I have to use FileZilla Server 1.8.0 because it supports TLS 1.3.

Thank you in advance for your help! :D

boco
Contributor

Re: LIST file expects short file name without dir

#2 Post by boco » 2024-01-14 05:20

This client expects a certain format for file names when requesting the LIST command.
And here's the problem, the elephant in the room. LIST does NOT have ANY defined format. An FTP client simply MUST NOT expect or rely on a certain syntax or format LIST outputs. Oh, btw, LIST also does not (and has never) support any parameters other than a path or filename.

That being said, maybe the admin is in a good mood and might change it back. As there is no prevalent format, it actually doesn't matter.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org