Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

suyunming
500 Command not understood
First name: yunming
Last name: su

how FileZilla Server use nfs path

#1 Post by suyunming » 2024-01-16 10:49

I have installed FileZilla Server on a Windows 10 system. After enabling the NFS client in the Control Panel and mounting NFS using the mapped network drive method with the path Z:, I created a new user in the Administer FileZilla Server and configured a virtual file path as /test2024 with a Navigated path of Z:\1_FTP. However, when trying to access files in this folder using FileZilla Client, I encountered an error: 'Date/Time','Info','Type','Message' '16-01-2024 18:34:45','FTP Session 5 106.12.254.112 test','Response','550 Couldn't open the file or directory'. I saw on the forum that 'By default, the account under which the service runs has no rights to access any network shares. Please read the sticky in this forum.' (https://forum.filezilla-project.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19209&p=75046&hilit=NFS#p75027). I don't know how to resolve this issue. Can you provide guidance? :?: :?: :?:

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: how FileZilla Server use nfs path

#2 Post by botg » 2024-01-16 14:23

Drive letter associations for network resources are typically bound to the logon session that created it. Different logged in users on your machine have different login sessions. Likewise, services run in their own session distinct from the desktop session even if both run with the same user. Try accessing the network share through its UNC path instead of a mapped drive letter.

suyunming

#3 Post by suyunming » 2024-01-18 07:29

Thank you for your response. Following the method you mentioned, my issue has been resolved. I would like to clarify with you: your explanation implies that when the FileZilla Server is running, it creates a user process that is different from the user who mounted the network drive (logged in as administrator). Even if FileZilla was configured to use administrator login during installation, the user process initiated during data transfer tasks is still distinct from the user process mounting the network drive, correct? :D

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2024-01-18 08:51

Even if FileZilla Server was configured to use the same user account, it would still run in a different context. Different contexts are largely isolated from each other. That's why there is a separate Admin Interface - direct communication between the service and the Desktop is not possible.
Network associations are stored per-context. For example, even confirming the UAC prompt (to elevate the user privileges) means changing context, so, after elevation, your associations are non-existent, as they were left behind.

It could theoretically work if the FileZilla Server associated the network drives by itself, but, that's opening an entirely different (and nasty) can of worms. I am 100% certain that @botg won't ever go down that rabbit hole. :)
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

oibaf
Contributor
First name: Fabio
Last name: Alemagna

#5 Post by oibaf » 2024-01-19 09:46

It could theoretically work if the FileZilla Server associated the network drives by itself, but, that's opening an entirely different (and nasty) can of worms. I am 100% certain that @botg won't ever go down that rabbit hole.
We actually do kinda have that planned for one of the next releases.

boco
Contributor

#6 Post by boco » 2024-01-19 10:26

Yikes. Somebody want a can of worms for dinner? :shock:
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

oibaf
Contributor
First name: Fabio
Last name: Alemagna

#7 Post by oibaf » 2024-01-19 11:31

In order to be able to access network resources that are restricted to a specific user, FileZilla Server needs to be able to connect those resources itself using the credentials of those users, so that's kind of a forced path in order to provide the functionality.

suyunming

#8 Post by suyunming » 2024-01-22 01:37

Okay, I understand. Thank you all for your answers.