Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

henftp
500 Command not understood
First name: Hen

IP blocked

#1 Post by henftp » 2024-01-16 15:54

Hello FileZilla-Team,

our public IP seems to be blocked. We arent able to access the website, the forum etc.
I found the problem which was probably the reason for the block. Short: Probably to much attemps to download the new filezilla client and we got blocked. I stopped it for now that no more requests should now.

Is there a way to unblock our IP address?

Greetings

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: IP blocked

#2 Post by botg » 2024-01-17 09:00

Make sure to only download FileZilla either manually using a web browser operated interactively by a human being, or through FileZilla's built-in updater. If you use third-party tools to deploy FileZilla in your network, you need to host the files in your own network as well.

henftp

#3 Post by henftp » 2024-01-17 11:30

Hi,

wanted to look for the built-in update, but it does not work because of a ssl error, heres the log:

Update-Prüfung gestartet um 2024-01-17 11:39:09
Eigener Build-Typ: official
Anfragen von https://update.filezilla-project.org/update.php
Auflösen der IP-Adresse für update.filezilla-project.org
Verbinde mit 49.12.121.47:443...
Verbindung hergestellt, initialisiere TLS...
Zertifikat des Servers nicht vertrauenswürdig.
Verbindungsversuch fehlgeschlagen mit "ECONNABORTED - Verbindung abgebrochen".
Verbindung zum Server getrennt: ECONNABORTED - Verbindung abgebrochen
Dateiübertragung fehlgeschlagen

Can you confirm this?
We use Third Party Tools to deploy and it is hosted on our network. Patching was the problem which I already found out and will look further how to handle it. Sorry for the trouble.
But our IP is still blocked, can you tell me when it will be unblocked?

Greetings

botg
Site Admin

#4 Post by botg » 2024-01-17 13:17

You appear to have some malware or malicious network device in your infrastructure that is actively sabotaging network traffic.

henftp

#5 Post by henftp » 2024-01-17 13:33

im testing with lte on my mobile phone and from other external, not coorparate networks without ssl interception and its not working.

edit: chrome and firefox wont let me access the website, because the certificate seems to be incorrect (update.filezilla-project.org uses a security technology called "HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS)", which only allows Firefox to connect to the website via secure connections. Therefore, no exception can be added for the website.). But thats something diffrent.
If I disable ssl checking, I can update with filezilla client, but still cant access the website.

When can I expect ou IP to be unblocked again?

botg
Site Admin

#6 Post by botg » 2024-01-17 15:20

There is nothing wrong with TLS certificate for update.filezilla-project.org. Please note that it is not intended to be used by web browsers, it is intended to be used by FileZilla products only.

Automated IP bans are temporary. Apart from humans equipped with a web browser and FileZilla itself, make sure to not use third-party software accesses filezilla-project.org or your network might get itself banned over and over again.

henftp

#7 Post by henftp » 2024-01-17 16:27

Yes, I am now aware of this and I will see how I can handle this better.
So i'll wait some days and hope our IP gets unblocked?

What I don't quite understand is what the difference is in the following scenarios:
-> patch 15 clients manually via the internal update function
-> update 15 clients via patch management
in the end, 15 clients log on to the server and download the latest software.

Unfortunately, the internal update function cannot be used because admin rights are required and endusers dont have these rights. I wont manually updating because its too time intensive.
It will probably come down to repackaging the setups file if patching causes these problems.

I don't want to come across as a troublemaker, but when checked the site with an ssl check (https://www.ssllabs.com), the first message I get is "certificate name mismatch". so it could be that something is being messed up. it's just a hint and has nothing to do with the problem.

thanks so far

botg
Site Admin

#8 Post by botg » 2024-01-18 10:30

Many automated third-party tools do not behave nicely, the traffic costs would be unsustainable. That's why they not allowed to automatically download FileZilla.