First name: Gregary
Last name: Boyles

IIS FTP server => Filezilla => user can't log in

#1 Post by gregaryb » 2024-02-17 14:59

IIS is a pain in the butt.
It so vague and ill-defined.
Filezilla.jpg
Filezilla.jpg (35.2 KiB) Viewed 708 times
What is it that I need to do in IIS, in the FTP setting of my web site, top get rid of this annoying error?
IIS.jpg
IIS.jpg (46.86 KiB) Viewed 708 times

iam_sysop
226 Transfer OK

Re: IIS FTP server => Filezilla => user can't log in

#2 Post by iam_sysop » 2024-02-17 15:22

IIS FTP is integrated with the Windows filesystem.

This means you need to use Windows built-in tools for administering users and groups in order to facilitate FTP service. In the past, I've found that every single home directory and every single user needs to be configured individually - right down to restricting common user abilities, essentially creating an "FTP User" that basically has NO PERMISSIONS other than L/R/W to the folders specified. Folder permission "inheritance" is also an issue to contend with.

Plesk sets up a single server for each listening IP interface, then uses virtual directories and a myriad of symlinked-folders and user permissions in order to facilitate FTP natively with IIS. Worst case is you could download a demo of their product and install onto a virtual machine to see how they do it. Don't install over a production server - the installer will wipe out existing configurations - this is just so you can see how they do it.

Otherwise, you will most likely need to refer to Microsoft documentation to resolve this issue as it is outside the scope of this project. It will require lots of trial and error and testing. Then more testing to make sure you've properly sealed off permissions.