FileZilla Client, could not connect to server

Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

UtkuA
500 Command not understood

FileZilla Client, could not connect to server

#1 Post by UtkuA » 2024-03-05 09:22

Hey,

I'm trying to set up a Server right now, using FileZilla Server and Client. I'm using Windows XP for the FileZilla Server and Windows 10 for the FileZilla Client (I don't know if that's important, but i can't use a newer Windows Version because of some programs).

Now i installed the FileZilla Server and then set listen on port to 22. I opened the ports 20, 21 & 22 on my Server PC. And i also added a user group and a user, enabled it and added a shared folder path.

Now when I'm trying to connect on a other PC with FileZilla Client (I'm using the IPv4 Address of the PC where the Server is, and username & password from the user i created), I'm getting this log:

Response: fzSftp started, protocol_version=11
Command: open "<user>@<IP>" 22
Error: Could not connect to server

Anyone knows what I'm doing wrong here?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: FileZilla Client, could not connect to server

#2 Post by botg » 2024-03-05 10:22

You need to update to a more modern operating system. Our products do not support Windows XP.

UtkuA
500 Command not understood

#3 Post by UtkuA » 2024-03-05 11:06

botg wrote:
2024-03-05 10:22
You need to update to a more modern operating system. Our products do not support Windows XP.
Thank you for the answer, I installed the Server on Windows XP (The 32-Bit) Version without any problems, it starts and i can use it so i thought that it would work. Is there no way to use a FileZilla Server on Windows XP? Since some programs like LabVIEW are dependent on Windows XP and I can't update unfortunately to higher / more modern Windows versions.

I thought of using SMB but unfortunately XP only has SMBv1 which is very unsecure, so I thought that I could use FileZilla and SFTP (Using OpenSSH) for file transfer between the two PC's

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2024-03-05 12:00

Only the old, outdated, and entirely unsupported FileZilla Server 0.9.x versions run on XP. Not only are they insecure, they also do NOT support SFTP (port 22). Only the modern FileZilla Pro Enterprise Server (paid) supports SFTP.
The free FileZilla Servers (old and new) only support FTP (and FTPS), running on port 21, not 22.

That's as far as any help will go.

Since some programs like LabVIEW are dependent on Windows XP and I can't update unfortunately to higher / more modern Windows versions.
Hint: Run them in a VM (Virtual Machine), XP programs should have no problem with that. But, please, no Internet-facing ancient FTP server on ancient XP.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#5 Post by botg » 2024-03-05 12:45

Ah the irony. The mission critical piece of software that cannot be replaced. Software so vital that preparations for its eventual obsolesce were not made. :wink: