Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

mjmitche
500 Command not understood
First name: mike
Last name: mitchell

new user, firewall and router

#1 Post by mjmitche » 2008-04-23 02:27

Hi, I read the basic user instructions for FileZilla and think I understand them, however, I saw there's some other potential problems resulting from routers and firewalls that I don't understand and have this question. I am planning on installing FileZilla on a friend's computer to upload files to a website etc. However, I know that this computer has a router attached to it, and I assume it will have some sort of firewall. Will I have to do something with the router and firewall to upload files from his computer. I didn't understand what the wiki said about being "behind a router" (if I said that correctly).

gueri
First name: gueri
Last name: alvarez

Re: new user, firewall and router

#2 Post by gueri » 2008-04-23 04:34

mjmitche wrote:Hi, I read the basic user instructions for FileZilla and think I understand them, however, I saw there's some other potential problems resulting from routers and firewalls that I don't understand and have this question. I am planning on installing FileZilla on a friend's computer to upload files to a website etc. However, I know that this computer has a router attached to it, and I assume it will have some sort of firewall. Will I have to do something with the router and firewall to upload files from his computer. I didn't understand what the wiki said about being "behind a router" (if I said that correctly).
Hi, mjmitche, I'm a newby going through a similar process of learning. I found out that my cable modem is of the variety called 'bridged', and has no firewall or router attached to it, and therefore, I'm not able to configure the Windows Firewall, or any other, with such modem, and my only choice is to uninstall them.

Your case seems to be a better one, since you have the router attached to your modem, which allows you, I believe, to configure your firewalls in a way that they don't conflict with Filezilla.

As to how to carry out that configuration, I'm also in the process of learning it, and would appreciate any help as well.

cheers!

gueri

boco
Contributor

#3 Post by boco » 2008-04-23 19:01

If you plan using Filezilla Client, and to use Passive mode, then you don't need to do anything (other than allow Filezilla to communicate with the network). Port-forwarding applies only to incoming connections (which are blocked otherwise).
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

mjmitche
First name: mike
Last name: mitchell

#4 Post by mjmitche » 2008-04-23 21:33

thanks for your reply, unfortunately I don't understand a word of it because I'm a newbie

port-forwarding only applies to incoming connections

why would I want to use port-forwarding?

I am using a window's computer but it will be hosted on a linux server-- does that mean I should use Client?

what is the dif between passive and active mode? I only want to upload files to the net, and then obviously take them down if I need to change stuff on them?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#5 Post by botg » 2008-04-24 08:36

It's all described in the Network Configuration guide.