Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

Less
500 Command not understood
First name: Steve
Last name: Lesser

Can you secure a Folder behind a password on an FTP site

#1 Post by Less » 2008-07-24 18:59

Hi, My company recently started using an FTP site to transfer graphic files to vendors. I can upload folders but when I give the vendor the ftp login and password they have access to all of the folders on the site. Usually there are folders there that do not relate to projects they are involved in and I'd like to give them access to only the folders that they should be in, but I don't see a way. Is it related to the File Attributes? Can you set up a separate password for a folder so only that vendor can get into that folder?

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,
Less

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Can you secure a Folder behind a password on an FTP site

#2 Post by botg » 2008-07-24 19:30

Not possible.

Less

#3 Post by Less » 2008-07-24 19:57

botg wrote:Not possible.
I take you at your word, but this seems so preposterous. Everyone is so security aware and this seems like such an unsecure way of transfering files. And, there are so many ways to secure folders adn files on other servers and sites to limit access, it seem this should be a "no brainer". I'm really surprised. :?:

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2008-07-24 22:24

Seperate accounts for vendors? They can share seperate folders.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

da chicken
226 Transfer OK

#5 Post by da chicken » 2008-07-25 01:09

Yeah, FTP security is account-based. That's where it asks for the password, that's where it determines level of access. You have to give them a password either way.

Frankly, it's "preposterous" to require different levels of access for the same account name.

boco
Contributor

#6 Post by boco » 2008-07-25 07:46

boco wrote:Seperate accounts for vendors? They can share seperate folders.
Just for clarification, that was a proposal, not a question. 8)

grantpet
226 Transfer OK

#7 Post by grantpet » 2008-07-28 04:44

has anyone made a feature request for this? this is something i really would like to see and would use. if so, any answers?

Less

#8 Post by Less » 2008-07-29 13:15

da chicken wrote:Yeah, FTP security is account-based. That's where it asks for the password, that's where it determines level of access. You have to give them a password either way.

Frankly, it's "preposterous" to require different levels of access for the same account name.
I'm not sure what you mean by "account based" We have one FTP site. In order to get into it there is one login name and one password. We give these to each vendor as they need to access the FTP site. Once in the FTP site there are different folders containing the graphics for different projects, but each folder is open access to anyone once in the FTP site. I don't want separate FTP sites for each vendor, I just want to be able to lock down each folder in the site with a password so I can give the vendor the password only to the folder with the graphics that relate to their project.

da chicken
226 Transfer OK

#9 Post by da chicken » 2008-07-29 15:29

The solution is to create additional user accounts, Less. You can have more than one user account for a single site for precisely the reason you're asking for this feature. You can have more than one user account on a computer, right? And more than one on a network? This is the same idea.

There is no way to password protect a file or folder after you've logged in. FTP does not support it. To do exactly what you want, you can't use an FTP server and you can't use an FTP client. The protocol defines the kinds of commands you can run, and password protecting a folder is not one of them. The method in place for security is user accounts, and you can easily accomplish what you want with additional user accounts.

boco
Contributor

#10 Post by boco » 2008-07-29 19:41

Combining user groups/accounts with virtual directory trees is actually incredibly flexible. You definitely should give it a go.

Unfortunately supported features always depend on the FTP software used (especially the server).

grantpet
226 Transfer OK

#11 Post by grantpet » 2008-07-29 20:17

ok, i completely got the fact that ftp won't support password protected folders.
(even if you encrypt they will be able to take the file and hack it at their liesure correct?)

i suppose i should have asked is this possible through sftp? its my undrestanding that password protection is only available on accessing the server and not on accessing the folders/files. sftp only secures both parts of the transfer not the connection access correct?

the stupid gallery appreciates your time

is there a place someone has laid out an explanation of creating these virtual directories and how they work? this isn't the same as creating virtual drives is it (maybe the same principal)?
Last edited by grantpet on 2008-07-29 21:17, edited 1 time in total.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#12 Post by botg » 2008-07-29 21:04

No. Both FTP and SFTP are single-logon. Once you're on the server, no additional prompt will appear.

da chicken
226 Transfer OK

#13 Post by da chicken » 2008-07-30 17:50

grantpet wrote: is there a place someone has laid out an explanation of creating these virtual directories and how they work? this isn't the same as creating virtual drives is it (maybe the same principal)?
It depends entirely on what OS the server is, what FTP server the server is running, and what interface you're using to configure the server.

Are we talking about FileZilla Server?

furface00
504 Command not implemented
First name: david
Last name: weintraub

#14 Post by furface00 » 2008-07-31 11:04

Just a thought to your access concern. Instead of your clients having access to your server via FTP, what if you gave access through the internet to their designated "folders", and then placed a password on those folders.
My server provides password protection on any of the folders/files residing in my account. If someone is trying to access via the internet they must have the password I ascribe to that file, or no access. This will also limit their access to other files on the server.

boco
Contributor

#15 Post by boco » 2008-08-02 00:55

furface00 wrote:Just a thought to your access concern. Instead of your clients having access to your server via FTP, what if you gave access through the internet to their designated "folders", and then placed a password on those folders.
My server provides password protection on any of the folders/files residing in my account. If someone is trying to access via the internet they must have the password I ascribe to that file, or no access. This will also limit their access to other files on the server.
Absolutely possible, but that has nothing to do with Filezilla anymore and would be off topic.