Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

Smoke20
504 Command not implemented
First name: Brian
Last name: Bright

PLEASE HELP!!!

#1 Post by Smoke20 » 2008-07-29 22:07

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate...here's my problem...

I'm trying to use FileZilla Server to run a server for files when I need them and I'm out and about. I also use FileZilla Client to access the server.

I'm running AVG 8.0 Internet Security, and have allowed both FileZilla Server and Client to have both incoming and outgoing allowed on the firewall...

I've also set my router to forward Port 21 to the maching hosting the server.

I can't connect. Everytime I try to connect, it tells me that my username/password is incorrect. NOT POSSIBLE. I change it back to what I'm trying to log in with everytime I get the error.

Just for giggles, I even set Windows Firewall to allow both Server and Client access, but I currently have the Windows Firewall turned off.

I've even disabled both Windows Firewall services, AND AVG firewall services, and set both to allow ALL traffic. Still nothing.

I can randomly connect, but so far I haven't been able to get on for a while now...could this morning, but now I can't.

Somehow, somewhere, there is another FTP service running that is preventing my FileZilla Server from grabbing traffic from port 21. I've even changed the Windows installed properties to remove the built in FTP.

PLEASE, any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated as this has been going on for a while now.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

grantpet
226 Transfer OK

Re: PLEASE HELP!!!

#2 Post by grantpet » 2008-07-30 01:23

just some things from a FTP newbie to think about before the pros get here.

-comb the network configuration wiki, i seriously think your answer is in there. did you see the section on in some cases also having to forward port 20? that was a minor hold up for me.

-are your user log in types set correctly, anon/interact? tried creating a different account on each end?

good luck

Smoke20

#3 Post by Smoke20 » 2008-07-30 03:08

grantpet wrote:just some things from a FTP newbie to think about before the pros get here.

-comb the network configuration wiki, i seriously think your answer is in there. did you see the section on in some cases also having to forward port 20? that was a minor hold up for me.

-are your user log in types set correctly, anon/interact? tried creating a different account on each end?

good luck
I'll look through the wiki tonight...thought I had gone through everything there and all was good, but I'll look again.

Yes, user logins are correct. I set them up and attempted to test them myself with no luck. Created 2 brand new ones too...nothing though. Not sure what you mean by creating a different account on each end though...I can create an account on my server end, but where else would an account need to be created?

Thanks for the help.

grantpet
226 Transfer OK

#4 Post by grantpet » 2008-07-30 03:22

client software end

create new/different entries in the client site manager and try the quick connect

create new/diff entries in the server users accounts

the combination should be in there, especially since you were already connected.

what's different between now and then?

Smoke20

#5 Post by Smoke20 » 2008-07-30 03:40

been trying with quick connect. Haven't actually set up the site in site manager...don't really want to - friends machine who will not be accessing the FTP, I just happen to have remote access to it so I can test the FTP.

Only real difference between now and then is that I first noticed Windows Firewall was running the first time...disabled the Windows firewall, and I was able to connect.

Now Windows Firewall is NOT connected, and AVG firewall is set to allow all, plus service is actually disabled. Keep getting error 530 - login incorrect.

Again, I KNOW the login is correct cause I just changed it to what I tried to login as.

Smoke20

#6 Post by Smoke20 » 2008-07-30 03:47

I should also add that I'm using dyndns as I don't have a static IP address...again, this has worked in the past, but for some reason, now it won't work. Hell, it JUST worked this morning, then when I had someone try and login, nothing.

Also, I can connect internally just fine, just not from an outside source.

grantpet
226 Transfer OK

#7 Post by grantpet » 2008-07-30 03:55

The higher ups might be able to help, but i can't.

personally i'd try with and without the avg.

Leo Laporte himself would have to show me logs and port scans to convince me of something other than the only way to turn a software firewall OFF is to uninstall it with a registry sweep and hard reboot.

i still have a zone alarm pro license i don't use because of that.

Smoke20

#8 Post by Smoke20 » 2008-08-12 03:23

OK, removed AVG completely. Windows Firewall is turned off, yet still getting this error about the login incorrect - 530 Login Incorrect.

Anyone have any suggestions?

boco
Contributor

#9 Post by boco » 2008-08-12 04:32

@botg: Maybe we could have some debug switch in FZ Server that enables showing passwords in the interfase. That way, you could see if the password you entered reaches the server unmodified or if it has been crippled by a firewall/router/whatever.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org