New to ftp and filezilla

Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

Brynhild
500 Command not understood

New to ftp and filezilla

#1 Post by Brynhild » 2005-03-12 20:05

I'm a newbie, and would appriciate all help. I bought a domain at DreamHost, so I have a site, but when I was browsing I got the impression that I needed a ftp client to be able to make my site, which is why I found my wa over here. My old website was on Angelfire and you could edit it with basic HTML coding, which I'm familiar with, but I've never used FTP or anything before, so I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. I went over to the downloads, but there's versions and packages and servers and stuff I don't understand, and I'm not sure what all I need to download in order to use FileZilla. Help, please?

b.veldkamp
500 Command not understood

#2 Post by b.veldkamp » 2005-03-14 10:25

You just need the Filezilla FTP client.
Here's a shortcut to the installer, so you can skip several sourceforge pages: http://umn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourcefor ... _setup.exe (right click and choose "Save target as")

AlmightyMaximus
450 Internal Error

#3 Post by AlmightyMaximus » 2005-03-16 05:26

basically, this is what you should know:

ftp is a protocol for transferring files. you need a ftp client to talk to the ftp server. since both programs "speak" ftp, they can easily communicate. ftp is a protocol specifically designed for transferring files in an efficient manner.

what you'll do is create your html pages (it doens't matter how you do it or what you use to do it, but just make them). once you start up FZ, you will need to connect to the server (see the documentation for instructions). once you successfully connect, your comptuer will be on the left and the remote computer (the server) will be on the right.

at this point, just locate which directory you want to put your files into (probably something like public_html) and just drag & drop your files to transfer them. the process is the same for downloading files from the server to your computer. any type of file can be transferred.

if you need to create a folder or rename something, you can just right click in the appropriate place and select the command you need. i hope this help explain the basics of ftp for you.