Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

CptnVic
500 Command not understood
First name: Randy
Last name: Huddleston

Re: ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server

#76 Post by CptnVic » 2011-11-09 00:50

Sorry if this has been covered (I did not find it) - but in my case, I test development under Xampp on Windows. My hosts file is set to reflect that and on closer examination, Windows was resolving my ftp back to the local version. Temporarily changing the hosts file resolved it for me.

boco
Contributor

#77 Post by boco » 2011-11-09 07:28

I'm using DynDNS, and AFAIK you can have two hostnames even in the free version (used to be much more). One of them I HOST-redirected, the other I didn't. So if I need a hostname resolving to the external IP, I use the second one.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

marcusjx1

#78 Post by marcusjx1 » 2012-01-13 21:44

Hello,
Any help would be appreciated :D I am getting the "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server" message when I try to use Filezila. This is my first time trying to use this program. I have read this thread, the network configuration guide, unplugged my router and plugged directly into my cable modem, turned off zone alarms, disabled avg resident Shield, and tried every single configuration possible under the network configuration Wizard. And I still get the error. Inmotion allows the download of an XTML document to import settings into Filezilla I have used this and entered the information manually and I've tried using secure and nonsecure ftp using the xtml document and entering information manually.

I am running Windows 7
I use inmotion hosting
AVG - free
zonealarms - free

Any help, guidance, or expertise would be very much appreciated. Thank you!! :D

scamalertor
First name: tom
Last name: hanks

#79 Post by scamalertor » 2012-01-15 02:43

works for me, many thanks!!!!
<Signature deleted due to violation of forum rules>

boco
Contributor

#80 Post by boco » 2012-01-15 19:58

Any help would be appreciated :D I am getting the "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server" message when I try to use Filezila.
Usually comes up if FileZilla or the server is blocked by a firewall. Can you connect to other servers? Does the server work with https://ftptest.net/?
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

bradm
First name: Brad
Last name: Markle

#81 Post by bradm » 2012-01-16 16:20

Hi Marcus,

My name is Brad and I'm with InMotion Hosting. I saw your post and wanted to chime in to see if I could help:
Inmotion allows the download of an XTML document to import settings into Filezilla I have used this and entered the information manually and I've tried using secure and nonsecure ftp using the xtml document and entering information manually.
Have you tried using the "Quickconnect" feature at the top of FileZilla to try and login? Simply enter your domain name as the "Host", your cPanel username and password as the "username and password", and then hit Quickconnect at the top.

Keep me updated if you need any further assistance.

Thanks,
- Brad

Timescape Ent
First name: Michael
Last name: Poole

#82 Post by Timescape Ent » 2012-01-18 00:50

I just discovered a quick fix from GoDaddy... put in the ip address instead of the url. It worked for me.

rsolomonjr1
First name: Rodney
Last name: Solomon

#83 Post by rsolomonjr1 » 2014-03-18 19:55

boco wrote:
Any help would be appreciated :D I am getting the "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server" message when I try to use Filezila.
Usually comes up if FileZilla or the server is blocked by a firewall. Can you connect to other servers? Does the server work with https://ftptest.net/?
I get the same error. When I use net2ftp.com I get in just fine. but not with Filezilla.

Status: Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server".
Error: Could not connect to server

Please help.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#84 Post by botg » 2014-03-18 19:58

Some firewall, either client- or serverside, is blocking you.

igor420
First name: joe
Last name: bills

#85 Post by igor420 » 2014-03-23 15:54

CptnVic wrote:Sorry if this has been covered (I did not find it) - but in my case, I test development under Xampp on Windows. My hosts file is set to reflect that and on closer examination, Windows was resolving my ftp back to the local version. Temporarily changing the hosts file resolved it for me.

Thanks cpt, this worked for me. Cheers

casausg
First name: Juan Antonio
Last name: Casaus García

#86 Post by casausg » 2014-06-02 19:17

matiaspolanco wrote:
twlada wrote:The solutions that works for me: in FileZilla change the Servertype from FTP to SFTP. (On general tab below the name of the host).
Works of me, in Mac Os .. .thanks!
Oh my god.. I've been hours trying to figure this shit out, this finally worked for me..
Awesome.

penangroad
First name: Nicholas
Last name: Chan

#87 Post by penangroad » 2014-06-04 22:55

Works for me as well! Thanks so much... Oh gosh, so relief right now.

Leck1

#88 Post by Leck1 » 2014-07-28 06:31

i read through this thread, and it's complicated to understand even for a computer professional (non network admin computer professional)

the problem is the manuals and online guides for filezilla server give a lot of unnecessary information, and filezilla server is not set up to work "out of the box" with the vast majority of computers. i think a concise guide to fix the faq problems is a great place to start, instead of pointing users to disable/allowprograms in windows firewall (which is unnecessary after windows98 to do. even a partially disabled windows firewall allows fz to work)

the 2 major problems i surmise users would not know is:

1. you "have" to enter a username AND PASSWORD to share folders (without going into detail about ways around this)

2. assuming https://ftptest.net// shows your server no problem and you still cannot access your server remotely, i believe the solution is to use passive mode, which means opening up another port (or range of ports)

i'm not saying i'm ungrateful for a free ftp server solution with so many customizable options. i'm saying if there are things which can be easily fixed, they should be fixed. it's a shame with so much good open source software, the most popular open source ftp server solution there is no pop up box or simple instructions in the filezilla settings/users which explain common problems. i'm sure for people who have network certs and work in networking this isn't a big deal bc it's obvious, however you want to make your software work easily for the non expert, not make the software work easily for the expert. expert users could simply copy some config file when setting up fz many times, whereas beginner fz users want to get fz working without reading long manuals on a website where 90% of the things they read aren't pertinent to their problem.

i'm simply suggesting to direct users to webpages with concise pertinent solutions to the main problems first, not directing users to general networking or manual webpages written by fz devs with all information included while using fz.

as a disclaimer, a lot of people appear to have different problems and solutions. most of these problems can be fixed by reworking default settings in fz server and adding text in settings/users which explains common problems and solutions. i would have to agree what boco writes is argumentative probably defending fz, when fz is far from a perfect piece of software. just bc there are a lot of man hours put into making fz, does not mean it's without its major problems.

Reefinmate
First name: Leigh
Last name: Van Zyl

#89 Post by Reefinmate » 2014-11-02 14:00

Hello and good day, I am new to FileZilla and FTP in general.

I am having the same problem on my iMac.

Status: Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server".
Error: Could not connect to server

I tried the confuguration wizzard as well, it seems to connect and run through the test OK then at the end I get "Connection lost - Connection Closed" Any help appreciated.

Reefinmate
First name: Leigh
Last name: Van Zyl

#90 Post by Reefinmate » 2014-11-02 14:17

OK thanks I got it working but I have another problem whch I will start anew post for.