Deny button

Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

Selmak
504 Command not implemented

Deny button

#1 Post by Selmak » 2005-04-01 09:24

Just testing the beta secure-server version, and I'm impressed. Been looking for a more-secure replacement for our ageing FTP platform for a while, and this could be just the ticket.

Couple of small suggestions:

On the server, it might worth adding a "Deny Access" option in folder permissions. (which effectively would block the inheritance of access from folders above it) As the moment it's difficult to cater for the situation where someone has a folder within the FTP-tree which they object to being made externally-accessible.

On the client, if a user tries to upload a file to a readonly area, then the file remains in the transfer-queue with an error-flag on it, and it looks (to the uninitiated user) as if something has gone wrong with the program.. It might be better if the program popped a dialog saying "You are not allowed to do that!" (Or just change the wording of the transfer-queue message to read "Permission Denied" or whatever.)

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#2 Post by botg » 2005-04-01 10:13

Just add the folder the user should have no access to to the list of shared directories, but don't give it any permissions. This is equivalent to a deny option.

Selmak

#3 Post by Selmak » 2005-04-01 10:32

Did try that, seemed to make no difference.

I'll try it again.

Selmak

#4 Post by Selmak » 2005-04-01 13:55

Worked this time. In fact the folder's not even visible in the list.

Put that one down to experience, I guess. Maybe I hadn't restarted the client fully.

Thanks for help anyway.